Install Cacti (Network Monitoring) on RHEL/CentOS 7.x/6.x/5.x and Fedora 24-12

3. Use our Linode referral link if you plan to buy VPS (it starts at only $10/month).
  4. Support us via PayPal donate - Make a Donation

Ravi Saive

I am Ravi Saive, creator of TecMint. A Computer Geek and Linux Guru who loves to share tricks and tips on Internet. Most Of My Servers runs on Open Source Platform called Linux. Follow Me: Twitter, Facebook and Google+

1. Deepak says:

Hello,

I having this error “FATAL: Cannot connect to MySQL server on ‘localhost‘. Please make sure you have specified a valid MySQL database name in ‘include/config.php‘ ” When I tried to connect the webserver. I am installing in a hyper-V enviorment with host also in same subnet . Do I need to change anything from the above? the “localhost ” would remain the same right ?

2. Jason says:

Ravi,

Maybe it’s just me but to get back to the last comments in this thread on your webpage I’ve had to hit the newer comments button literally about 15 times. You really need a button that takes everyone to the end.

@Jason,

Actually its difficult to show all comments in one page, it will make the page bigger in size and leads to slow loading, that’s the reason we have to break the comments into pages for easier navigation..

3. Jason says:

Nick,

In the instructions
    GRANT ALL ON cacti.* TO cacti@localhost IDENTIFIED BY ‘tecmint’;
    So you might want to try the password “tecmint” versus “YES”

4. Jason Hollis says:

I have run all the steps successfully as best I can validate. I’m running the latest Fedora with Apache 2.4 and I can’t get to http://localhost/cacti or http://localIPAddress/cacti or http://127.0.0.1/cacti.

Any hints?

@Jason,

I think Cacti installation was not successful, try to follow the instructions again carefully and see, if you still gets same error try to view the logs files of cacti and see what error it showing there?

5. Nick says:

I seemed to have missed something. When I type: [root@tecmint ~]# mysql -u cacti -p cacti < /usr/share/doc/cacti-0.8.8b/cacti.sql
    (This is the correct location of the cacti.sql db on my machine)

Where is that password coming from? Am I creating a user called cacti on the local machine? I tried editing the db.php so that the $database_username was 'cacti' and the password was [password] but I get access denied when I use that password. I also tried creating a user on the local host named 'cacti' and giving it a password but I get the same error.

• Nick says:

Just to be clear, the error I get after attempting to use any passwords I’ve set is:
      ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user ‘cacti’@’localhost’ (using password: YES)

@Nick,

Have you followed Set MySQL Password and Create MySQL Cacti Database sections in the article carefully? if not try to follow these steps and set root password (if not set) and create cacti user as shown…then you can able to import cacti database to cacti db..

6. Leng says:

Dear Support,

I have a problem on show cacti.log on cacti. It say “Error /usr/share/cacti/log/cacti.log is not readable“. I try to give full permission to user apache and cacti but it still got same error.

[root@localhost log]# ll /usr/share/cacti/log/cacti.log