Recently, Cinnamon team released the new version of Cinnamon 1.6 Desktop with many new improvements, bug fixes and features: workspace OSD, new cinnamon 2D session, new applets, cinnamon setting manager and lots more.
Cinnamon 1.6 is now available in a PPA (Personal Package Archive) for Ubuntu and Xubuntu users. The PPA also includes a new GUI tool called Cinnamon Settings that lets you to configure and manage setting of Cinnamon: enable/disable themes and extensions, enable/disable panel auto hide, enable/disable overview icon or hot corner and many more.
This article shows you how to install the most popular desktop distribution Cinnamon 1.6 using PPA in Ubuntu 12.10/12.04/11.10, Xubuntu 12.10, Linux Mint 13.
Cinnamon 1.6 Features
- Cinnamon 2D session with software rendering.
- Workspace OSD: Give custom names to workspaces.
- ALT + Tab improvements to use thumbnails or previews.
- Improved sound applet: mute buttons for speakers, larger album cover, microphone and more
- Grid View in Expo
- Cinnamon Settings to configure and manage settings.
Installation of Cinnamon 1.6
To install latest version of Cinnamon 1.6 Desktop on Ubuntu 12.10/12.04/11.10 and Xubuntu 12.10, open the terminal by pressing CTRL + ALT + T from the Desktop and run the following commands to install it.
For Ubuntu 12.10/12.04/11.10 and Xubuntu 12.10
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-stable $ sudo apt-get update $ sudo apt-get install cinnamon
For Linux Mint 13
On Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon is available from the repository, simply run the following command to install.
$ sudo apt-get update $ sudo apt-get install cinnamon
Once Cinnamon installed, log out and choose “Cinnamon” or “Cinnamon 2D” session from the screen and login again. Prefer below screenshots for reference.
The default preview of Cinnamon desktop Menu.
The Cinnamon Settings panel.
Watch Cinnamon 1.6 Desktop Video
Other Linux distributions packages and installation can be found at Cinnamon Page.
Latest posts by Ravi Saive (see all)
- CentOS 6.5 Released – Upgrade from CentOS 6.x to CentOS 6.5 - December 2, 2013
- Upgrade Linux Mint 15 (Olivia) to Linux Mint 16 (Petra) - December 1, 2013
- How to Get Root and User SSH Login Email Alerts - November 28, 2013
Linux Services & Free WordPress Setup
Our post is simply ‘DIY’ aka ‘Do It Yourself, still you may find difficulties and want us to help you out. We offer wide range of Linux and Web Hosting Solutions at fair minimum rates. Please submit your orders by Clicking Here.