Pentoo (Gentoo) Based Linux Review, Features and Screenshot Tour
Pentoo Linux is a Linux distribution based upon Gentoo Linux. Pentoo can be used as Live CD or Live USB image and the distribution aims at penetration testing. It is nothing but Gentoo with Pentoo Overlay. The newly released distribution is available for both 32 bit as well as 64 bit architecture.
Features of Pentoo
Lets list the feature of Pentoo in point wise fashion.
- Based on Gentoo.
- Available for 32 bit and 64 bit architecture.
- Available as Live CD/USB image.
- Useful in penetration testing.
- Built on hardened Linux, i.e., Kernel hardened with extra patches.
- Full Disk encryption available when installed on Hard Disk Drive.
- Default User Interface is XFCE.
- Package Manager is ‘Portage‘.
- Update using ‘Emerge‘.
Team behind this wonderful Project
- Grimmlin – Founder, Package Manager
- Zero_Chaos – Kernel/Wifi stack maintainer, Release Coordinator, package maintainer.
- Anton Bolshakov – Package Maintainer, Upstream Pusher.
- Stefan Kuhn and Jensp – package Maintainer, QA Releaser, Fixes Hardened Error, etc.
- 09 March 2013 – Pentoo 2013.0 RC1.1
- 30 July 2012 – Pentoo 2012.0
- 04 December 2009 – Pentoo 2009.0
- 05 July 2006 – Pentoo 2006.1
- 02 Feb 2006 – Pentoo 2006.0
- 22 June 2005 – Pentoo 2005.1
- Pentoo 2013.0 RC1.1 – Codename “Backtrack 6“
Like other penetration testing distributions, Pentoo ships with packet injection, patched wireless drivers, loads of cracking tools and software, and a lot many tools for testing and security assessment. Here is a list of few:
Tools in Current Release
- Analyzer Tools (Angst, Arpwatch, Dnsa, Ftest, Ngrep.
- Cracker/Bruter (John, Ophcrack, Rdesktopbrute.
- Database (MySql, Oracle, Sqlbf, Sqlix, Sqlmap.
- Ecploit (Armitage, Beef, Winexe, Upnpwn.
- Footprint (Dns Tool, Fingerprint tool, Geolocation Tool, Http, Mail).
- Forensics (Autopsy, Testdisk.
- Forging (Gsproof, lsic, Rain, Packit.
- Fuzzers (Bed, Bss, Fuzzdb, Peach.
- Proxy Tools Viz., Httpush, Zaproxy, etc.
- Mobile Tools (Apktool, Clang, lfuse.
- RCE Tools (Disassemble, Dissy, Edb, jad, etc.
- Radio Tools (Chirpw, Uhd.
- SIP/Voip Tools (Sipp, Testcall, Vomit, Wxiax.
- Scanner Tools (Hunt, Skinfish, etc along with Http and Windows Scanner Tools.
- Wireless Tools (Aircrackng, Asleap, Crda.
- Tools Like Curl, Dhcpcd, Oftpd, VncViewer, etc.
Other common Tools includes
- Bulk Rename
- Developer Tools: Cmake, QT Designer, sandbox, etc
- Pdf Viewer
- Wicd Network Manager
- Multimedia Tools: Asla Mixer GUI, VLC, gtk
- Mozilla Thunderbird
- Virtual Machine Manager, etc.
Download Pentoo ISO Images
Pentoo Download links Contain both 32 and 64 bit Downloads.
Why Should I Use Pentoo?
Well for a Linux Enthusiastic, Trying a new Distro is Adventurous. If You are Newbie You can test it in Live mode without Installation. If You are an Expert all the tools are available here and can later be downloaded as well. If You are a professional penetration tester or does it for fun, this is just the right distro for you. Mind me, if you are adventurous and likes to explore, this distro is worth, giving a try.
How to Install and Use Pentoo
Just Download the ISO image from above download Link. The image is a very large file, nearly 1.8 GB. Better download it in a uGet downloader manager so that if any Interrupts happens, you can pause and resume the download or use QBittorrent client.
Once downloaded, Check the md5sum or sha1sum of iso image and match it with the one provided by official website.
tecmint@localhost:~/Downloads$ md5sum pentooi6862013.0_RC1.9.iso d2e8ce1986032af13e7497fa5969b0a9 pentooi6862013.0_RC1.9.iso
tecmint@localhost:~/Downloads$ sha1sum pentooi6862013.0_RC1.9.iso 3855c867adaca66bcedad5147786db7c61d90cb2 pentooi6862013.0_RC1.9.iso
Match the above HASH from the download file pentoo*2013.0_RC*.iso.DIGESTS.
Note: Calculation of md5 Hash or sha1 Hash in terminal may take some time, depending upon the size of ISO Image.
Burn the Image to CD, or create a Pentoo Bootable USB, refer to our article on.
It is advised to use the distro on Virtual machine or Live mode, before installing it on Master HDD. Don’t forget to backup Your Data before Installing it on Your Primary Disk.
Pentoo Screenshot Tour
Some of the Screenshots of the current release.
That’s all for now. I’ll soon be available here again, with an interesting article, you people will love to read. Till then Stay Healthy, Tuned and connected to Tecmint. Don’t forget to give your valuable feedback in our comments section.