10 Lesser Known Linux Commands – Part 2

1. Admin says:

The “pv” is the one :) Thanks a bunch for this post, awesome examples!

• Avishek Kumar says:

@ Admin (dont know what’s your Real name) Thanks for your valueable feedback.

comment of such kind makes us feel “Awesome” (Specially me, as a writer.)

2. Eddie G. says:

Thanks for these…although some of them didn’t work…is it because I’m using Fedora Linux?…or is there something I need to type before the prompt?….should I be running these as root…or do I have to do the “sudo” thing before typing them?….thanks anyway!!

• Avishek Kumar says:

@ Eddie G. please let us know which commands didn’t work for you so that we resolve your issue, in details please.

Also make sure your shell is BASH.

3. Kenyon Ralph says:

“12” is not a command, it’s a non-default feature of the shell, which I’m assuming is bash here. Look for the HISTCONTROL variable in the bash reference manual.

4. Denver says:

For “12. Command” isn’t really cheating the history command and is likely due to either the HISTCONTROL variable being set to “ignorespace” or setting HISTIGNORE to include white space with the bash shell.

-denver

5. Croitoru Radu-Bogdan says:

% stat -c “%a %n” * | column -t

6. hesco says:

screen is nice, but I left it behind for tmux.
    See: http://tmux.sourceforge.net/
    which I find a bit easier to use.

Both permit remote pairing in a shared session.
    Both are complex and featureful.

Pragmattic Programmer offers an excellent book:

Well worth even a minimal investment in its learning curve.
    And the more time I spend with that book
    (which I still have not read cover-to-cover)
    the more I get out of it.

— Hugh

7. Wilecoyote7 says:

No love for the ‘type’ command? If you want to know where a command is in the system, or if it’s an internal command, use ‘type’ and the name of the command:
    type bash
    or
    type help
    It will show you where the command resides. It is similar to the ‘whereis’ command that finds files as well (but shows any files that contain the name:
    whereis bash
    whereis fdisk

Just my two cents……

8. Prasad says:

Thanks for sharing. file command also use for check binary file 32 bit or 64 bit. Please let me know how to use “column” command.

• Avishek Kumar says:

Welcome @ Prasad.

well were not we very clear with above commands specially ‘column’ command. Please read the column command description above as well as man page, and let us know where we could help you.

9. Jed says:

Thanks for these tips! I really like the “column -t” command. Amazing things are tucked away in /usr, aren’t they?

10. Thx a ton…

sudo !! : were re-typing in agony :) before
    shuf : were using ‘sort -R |head -n1’
    mount | column -t : looked like a pile of ..it before
    history cheat : didn’t work; don’t know why. happy with HISTFILE=/dev/null