10 Linux Distributions and Their Targeted Users

3. Get your own self-hosted blog with a Free Domain at ($3.95/month).

1. Nath says:

I’m a programmer. I work with java, python, php and ruby. But I’ve been on windows since. I feel the need to move to linux. I’m used to working with IDEs: Netbeans, Eclipse. And servers: apache tomcat mostly. Which linux distro will help me get up to speed quickest?

@Nath,

The only one Debian the father of all Linux distributions, go for debain distro..

• SALEEM says:

While any linux should do but Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, Open Suse and Cent OS 6 or 7 should server the perhaps reasonably well.
      aLL THREE WORK AND THINGS DEPEND UPON YOUR COMFORT LEVEL

2. Aaron Kili K says:

You can also check out Parrot OS which is an alternative to Kali Linux. It is also used for penTests.
    I have it installed on a Samsung notebook works fine with many themes.
    One problem i have encountered with Kali is that as being a security testing distro, the developers and maintainers have restricted installing third party software on it.

3. Arpiti111 says:

What about the evolve os and ozone os they have great design and snappy performance

4. Vladimir says:

Which distribution would you recommend for best end-user experience on a pretty old laptop? The user will be my wife on a pretty old Lenovo IdeaPad S10e (2GB of RAM, Intel Atom 1.6GHz and slow HDD). Reading the article I got the impression I should install OpenSUSE (due to Yast) or CentOS (maybe because I have it on each web server I use at my work..). What would you recommend to us? And thank you for this nice overview!

5. Spirit says:

So, CentOS for a server, Kali for playing around with hacking or cybersecurity, and which do you think is a good one for programming or learning to program?

Debian or Ubuntu both are the perfect distributions for learning, but Debian is for both programming/learning..go for debian

6. jimh says:

Avishek – you are 100% incorrect about openSUSE here. First off, openSUSE is not a “competitor” of RHEL – it more closely aligns with Fedora as a distribution.

Secondly, and more importantly, this statement:

“OpenSuse is a Linux distro which is free as far as it is not used for commercial usages and remains for personal usages.”

is completely, 100% false. openSUSE may be used for commercial and noncommercial purposes. However you want to use openSUSE is just fine with the project. openSUSE is free software – free to distribute, free to copy, free to use, free to modify in any way you want. The open source components included in openSUSE are not under a special license of any sort with openSUSE that restricts the user’s freedom in any way whatsoever. openSUSE (and its predecessor, SUSE Linux) has never had such a restriction.

The current version of openSUSE is 13.2 – version 12.3 no longer receives updates, and hasn’t since January 29, 2015. (I note that your post was created well before that time, so that’s fair – consider this note an update with regards to that information).

7. greg says:

How would you rate Linux Bodhi ?

8. tycj4n says:

Where is mint linux? is great too, better than Gentoo, Gentoo definitelly sucks is experimental OS for those people who don’t cares about stable OS.

• Avishek Kumar says:

Linux Mint is a Great OS and i do agree. But this never means it is at par with Gentoo and the vice-versa is also correct. And mind it, Gentoo is very stable, and you have the pleasure to view the compilation from Source right before you. Agree it takes time but Gentoo is Nearest to LFS. It lets you understand the internals of Linux very closely. You can make anything out of Gentoo (same is for arch).

• Olli says:

You did not get the point about gentoo.

• Jamie says:

You measured linux mint with gentoo.
        Mate, linux mint is for beginners who want everything there out of the box. Gentoo is built for people who care what packages are in the system from the start.
        Gentoo is built for professionals and there for you will not see linux mint in any environment where linux’s distros are a key part in task operations due to the design of mint. Also linux mint is a desktop OS and is very hard to mold into “your system”. So before you argue further, Gentoo is for professional use and the other is built for playing movies on desktops and laptops with almost the opposite designs for a good server.

• Avishek Kumar says:

The first thing is Distributions are like religion and one should not question anybody’s religion, at-least that is not my ethics.
        Throughout my journey to Linux land, i learnt it very hard – Don’t compare a Distro, Don’t compare a Programming Language. This discussion will take you no-where.

9. nikhil says:

I am a newbie.I want to learn (learn and not just use) linux inside out. Suggest a suitable distro. I beleive the command only distros would help me learn.

10. jyoti says:

i have not any idea about Linux os. Iam just going to install linux mint 17.1.
    what about it??

• Avishek Kumar says:

You should try Linux Mint and mind me you won’t regret. It is one of those distros which is easy to Install, Configure and Use. If you are new to Linux Mint is Preferred!

Welcome to the world of Linux and Tecmint.