20 Linux YUM (Yellowdog Updater, Modified) Commands for Package Management

3. Get your own self-hosted blog with a Free Domain at ($3.95/month).

Ravi Saive

I am Ravi Saive, creator of TecMint. A Computer Geek and Linux Guru who loves to share tricks and tips on Internet. Most Of My Servers runs on Open Source Platform called Linux. Follow Me: Twitter, Facebook and Google+

1. jaffaizal says:

Great article. Help a lot for newbie….

THANKS

2. Dasharath says:

Very useful for me as I am new to the Linux….Please update it regularly….

3. Anok says:

Nice and usefull

4. Mohar says:

Hi Ravi,

If i have an existing repo which is having 3000 packages and leter i manually downloaded approx 200 packages and now how i can make my new packages part of that existing repo.

5. Deepak says:

Hi All
    I am a beginner in Linux. I need some clarification on Yum command.
    Recently i installed some update on my system . because of that i am facing some issue . So i wants to roll back those updates i made(14 July 2014).

ID | Login user | Date and time | Action(s) | Altered
    ——————————————————————————-
    70 | System | 2014-07-14 17:31 | I, U | 11 P<

Is there any command to lists and erase the updates i made on 14th July ?

I really need your help here . Waiting for your reply.
    Thanks in Advance !

Unfortunately, there is no such option to roll back to previous version, if you’ve installed packages using yum. The only option is erase and compile from source.

6. Rakesh Mallick says:

Wonderful article thank you so much

7. navin says:

I use yum with the option –downloadonly

Example : yum update –downloadonly -y

This provides me a way to download the latest packages that need to be updated in my Linux system. The packages goes in a folder /var/cache/yum/rhel-x86_64-server/packages.

After that I do a : yum localupdate

Some of these packages get updated and some will get Installed.

I want to get yum command which lists the packages which will be updated
    and those which will get installed ( to be used with yum localinstall )

• JT says:

I have done yum install ? by mistake and multiple files got downloaded, I did a (d)downloadonly but would like to delete all of these files (downloaded only)
      How can I do that?

@JT,
        Use ‘yum history list’ command to find out recently installed packages..and remove them one by one…according to their time of installation.

8. J4X says:

So on Centos 6.5, I can type “yum install java7” and the JRE 7 runtime gets installed, but I don’t quite understand from your post how this is happening. If I search or list or grouplist for “java7” there are no hits. If I do a “yum provides Java7” then I see “Java7” under “Other:”. Is that where the install is being picked up from? Is so, how can I see what “Other:” (aliases?) exist for packages?

9. basil gafoor says:

Sir,
    Can you please tell me how to install python pygame and tkinter package for fedora 20.

10. Ray says:

Hi Ravi,
    Yum appears unable to report any information on manually compiled packages. It is not even able to see the PHP installed on a server I inherited from the person who compiled it. Instead, it reports the version that was present prior to that manual compiled update.

I am hoping to be able to update php soon, but I’m unsure how to proceed in this situation, not knowing what or how it may be binded to other packages.

Any suggestions or pointers?

Yes, you right yum unable to notify about information or packages compiled from the source. To update PHP to latest version, you’ve have to manually remove compiled PHP files and binaries from the system. And then you can update php using yum command.

• Ray says:

Thank you, sir.
        I am new to the task of removing such a compiled package (my first server admin post, with very little linux/unix experience behind me). Any advice on how I should proceed with such an operation?