Install GLPI (IT and Asset Management) Tool with Fusion Inventory in Debian Linux

Any type of business is bound to have innumerable amounts of items that need to be inventoried, tracked, and managed. Doing so by means of pen and paper not only takes excessive amounts of time but is often prone to multiple user errors. Moving to a digital system such as Excel/Libre Calc worksheets is a little bit more productive and easier to back up but does present some other interesting issues such as access to the spreadsheet, inability to easily query data, or the simple fact that multiple spreadsheets easily becomes a logistical nightmare!

GLPI is a fantastic piece of information-resource management software that can be installed to track company resources. GLPI is comparable in functionality to several commercial pieces of software such as LanSweeper, EasyVista,and ManageEngine. GLPI boasts several very useful features:

1. Hardware/Software inventory
  2. Network and printing hardware inventory
  3. Support for Fusion Inventory and OCS Inventory
  4. Computer peripherals inventory such as monitors, scanners, telephones, etc
  5. Help-desk Ticketing System
    1. SLA Management
    2. Change Management
    3. Project Management
  6. Reporting to PDF, CSV, PNG, SVG, etc
When GLPI is paired with Fusion Inventory:
  1. Software deployment abilities
  2. Automated inventory through client agents
  3. Ability to do handle Android, Windows, Linux, BSD, HP-UX, and many other operating systems

All in all with GLPI and Fusion Inventory installed, the combination can be used to create an all encompassing help-desk/document management/inventory system for businesses of all sizes.

This tutorial will walk through the steps necessary to quickly setup, configure, and begin importing inventory into GLPI with the help of Fusion Inventory on Debian 8 Jessie, but the same instructions also works on Debian based systems like Ubuntu and Mint.

Necessary Components

1. Debian 8 Jessie already installed ( TecMint has an article on installing Debian 8 here:
    1. Debian 8 Installation Guide
  2. Working network connection (necessary for the automatic inventory).
  3. A secondary machine to install the inventory agent (also with a network connection to the Debian server)
  4. Root/Administrator access to both machines

Installation of GLPI/Fusion Inventory Server

Step 1: Dependency Installation

1. The first step in the process is to boot up and prepare the Debian server. GLPI will require Apache2, MySQL, and some PHP additions in order to function properly. The easiest way to get these packages is with the Apt meta-packager.

# apt-get install apache2 mysql-server-5.5 php5 php5-mysql php5-gd

This command will download and install the necessary packages and start the basic server services. While MySQL is installing, it will likely ask to have the MySQL root password set. Set this password but DO NOT forget it as it will be needed soon.

Set MySQL Root Password

Set MySQL Root Password

2. After all of the packages finish installing, it is always a good idea to make sure that the server services are running. This is easily accomplished by evaluating the system to see what services are listening on what ports with the ‘lsof‘ utility.

# lsof -i :80 				[will confirm apache2 is listening to port 80]
# lsof -i :3306				[will confirm MySQL is listening to port 3306]

Another way to confirm apache2 is working and delivering a web-page is to open a web browser and type the Debian server’s IP address in the URL bar. If Apache2 is working, the web browser should return the “default” Apache2 page.

Apache Default Page

Apache Default Page

Now that Apache2 is at least serving up a web-page, lets first prepare the MySQL database and then configure Apache2 to server GLPI.

Step 2: MySQL Configuration

3. From the Debian server, log into the MySQL command line interface using the ‘mysql‘ command.

# mysql -u root -p

This command will attempt to log into MySQL as the MySQL root user (NOT the system root user). The ‘-p‘ argument will prompt the user for the MySQL root user password that was configured when MySQL was installed in the prior paragraph. At this point, a new database ‘glpi‘ needs to be created for GLPI. The SQL command to do accomplish this task:

mysql> create database glpi;

To confirm that this new database was indeed created, the ‘show databases;‘ command can be issued. The result should look similar to the below screen-shot.

mysql> show databases;
Show MySQL Databases

Show MySQL Databases

4. From here, a new user with privileges to this database should be created. It is never a good idea to use the root user! To create a new MySQL user and assign them permissions to the ‘glpi‘ database:

1. create user ‘glpi’@’localhost’; → creates a MySQL user called ‘glpi‘.
  2. grant all privileges on glpi.* to ‘glpi’@’localhost’ identified by ‘some_password’; → this grants all database privileges on the database called ‘glpi‘ to the newly created user ‘glpi‘ and then assigns a password required for that user to access the SQL database.
  3. flush privileges; → run this for the new privileges to be read by the MySQL server.
mysql> create user 'glpi'@'localhost';
mysql> grant all privileges on glpi.* to 'glpi'@'localhost' identified by 'some_password';
mysql> flush privileges;

At this point, MySQL is ready and it is time to obtain the GLPI software.

Step 3: Obtain and Prepare GLPI for Installation

5. Obtaining GLPI is very simple and can be accomplished one of two ways. The first method is to visit the project’s home page and Download GLPI Software or via the command line utility known as ‘wget‘.

This will download and install version 9.4.2 which is the current version as of this article.

# wget -c https://github.com/glpi-project/glpi/releases/download/9.4.2/glpi-9.4.2.tgz

6. Once the software is downloaded, the contents of the tarball need to be extracted. Using the tar utility, the contents can be decompressed, extracted, and placed in the proper location on the Debian server for the GLPI webpage to be accessible.

This will extract the tarball contents to a folder called ‘glpi‘ in the /var/www directory. By default, this is the directory that Apache2 serves files on Debian.

# tar xzf glpi-9.4.2.tgz -C /var/www

7. The above tar command will extract all the contents into the ‘/var/www/glpi‘ directory but it will all be owned by the root user. This will need to be changed for Apache2 and other security reasons using the chown command.

This will change the owner and primary group ownership for all of the files in /var/www/glpi to www-data which is the user and group that Apache2 will be using.

# chown -R www-data:www-data /var/www/glpi

At this point, Apache2 will need to be reconfigured in order to serve the newly extracted GLPI contents and the following section will detail the steps.

TecMint is the fastest growing and most trusted community site for any kind of Linux Articles, Guides and Books on the web. Millions of people visit TecMint! to search or browse the thousands of published articles available FREELY to all.

If you like what you are reading, please consider buying us a coffee ( or 2 ) as a token of appreciation.

Support Us

Rob Turner

Rob Turner is an avid Debian user as well as many of the derivatives of Debian such as Devuan, Mint, Ubuntu, and Kali. Rob holds a Masters in Information and Communication Sciences as well as several industry certifications from Cisco, EC-Council, ISC2, Linux Foundation, and LPI.

1. Douglas Saraiva says:

Very good post! I follow de instructions, but my instalation have a trouble, the last light (Web access to files directory is protected) is red with red note “Web access to the files directory, should not be allowed. Check the .htaccess file and the web server configuration.” I’m newbe on linux and I lost on this. Any hint? Regards

• Rob Turner says:

Douglas,

I’d be sure to check the permissions on the files in the GLPI web directory. Make sure that your apache user owns those files (typically www-data). If that’s not the issue, check in the file /etc/apache2/sites-available/glpi.conf file that there is a line that states “AllowOverride All” or “AllowOverride Limit”. Reply back with the results of these two and we’ll keep trouble shooting.

• Sylvain says:

Hi, i have the same problem than Douglas.
        Add Allowoverride All didnt fix it & my /var/www/glpi is owned by www-data:www-data.
        I dont’ have a clue why this problem happens..
        Any advices ?

• Rob Turner says:

Make sure “AllowOverride All” is added between the brackets { } in the htaccess file. What is the path to the htaccess file you manipulated?

I’m currently away from the GLPI system but I will take a look at the installation when I get back but will attempt to help in the meantime.

2. Craig Lockley says:

have you ever thought about adding anything in relation to SSL between agents and the webserver? I have been having much difficulty with having the agent connect through SSL. Would you be updating your instructions to include SSL config as well?

• Rob Turner says:

Craig,

I hadn’t thought about that but I will take a look and see if I can get it working. If so, I’ll update the instructions appropriately. Thank you for the idea!

3. Kapil Kumar says:

While we are adding a host we are facing issue it is detected in fusion inventory & shown in fusion inventory ignored import devices. so these are not added.

I have checked that these device serial no is blank so these are not being added kindly confirm how we can add devices like these in glpi.

Regards
    Kapil Kumar

• Rob Turner says:

Kapil,

I’m not exactly sure what you are asking. Is fusion not obtaining the serial number for the devices or are the devices not being inventoried?

4. Wayne says:

Hi Rob,

Sorry for the double posts. I was trying to discover computers, not printers, I guess I am unclear of how the Fusion Agent really works. I was under the impression that I could have one agent and be able to scan the network for other computers and populate their info in GLPI. Or do I need an agent installed on every computer on the network? Sorry for the newbie question.

Wayne

• Rob Turner says:

Wayne,

Thanks for the clarification. There are a couple of different options available. For computer inventory, generally companies want to know what software is installed, revision numbers, etc. As such, the fusion inventory agent client would need to be installed on the computer in order to report that information. However the network discovery would provide some basic functionality but it does require the use of SNMP. So if there was a computer that needed to be inventoried but you don’t want to install fusion agent on the machine, you could configure an SNMP user on that machine and then provide the Fusion Inventory server with the SNMP user credentials to access that machine. Does that help? If not let me know and I’ll come up with an illustration or better description.

5. Wayne says:

Hi Rob,

Fantastic post! Thank you. Any assistance with Network Discovery or a place a you could direct me to? I cannot get Fusion Inventory to scan my network, through GLPI. After setting an IP range, changing the agent settings, adding a task including target and actor…I cannot perform a Network Discovery.

6. Wayne says:

Hi Rob,

Fantastic post! I have followed your instructions but I have one question regarding network discovery. I was hoping you could help me out or point me in the right direction. I cannot seem to get network discovery to work. I have entered IP ranges, created a task through Task Management, configured the agent module for network discovery on an agent, and added targets and actors but nothing seems to happen after that. Any assistance would be appreciated. Again, great post!

Wayne

• Rob Turner says:

Wayne,

Do you mean network discovery as in locating devices on a network or locating network devices? If you are referring to the later, I had to configure SNMP users on the network devices themselves in order for Fusion Inventory to query/inventory those devices. If you are talking about simple network discovery of hosts, I’ll check what I did later this evening.

7. sarfaraz says:

GLPI fusioninventory agent not working with ubuntu-14.04.2

• Rob Turner says:

Sarfaraz, Could you provide some more detail? I tested Fusion inventory from Mint 17.1 which is based on Ubuntu 14.04 and it has worked flawlessly.

8. Rob Turner says:

Ryan,

Not a problem at all! Best of luck and if you run into any issues, please let us know. We’ll be glad to assist.

9. sarfaraz says:

Tremendous Job. Excellent

• Rob Turner says:

Sarfaraz,

Thank you. GLPI/Fusion Inventory are wonderful pieces of software that have saved me tons of time. Hoping that others can benefit as much from these two pieces of software.

10. Ryan says:

Hi Rob !

Thank you so much for this guide, it helped me a lot !! Especially the part with fusion inventory, I’ll set it up tomorrow thanks to you !

Regards