How to Install and Configure pfSense 2.1.5 (Firewall/Router) for Your Home/Office Network

Babin Lonston

I'm Working as a System Administrator for last 10 year's with 4 years experience with Linux Distributions, fall in love with text based operating systems.

1. Lawrence says:

If I am making pfSense as a network controller/firewall, should i run this on a dedicated machine or I can run it on a virtual machine installed on a main server? Thanks in advance

2. thompson says:

After installing pfsense.. do i shutdown and reboot my machine with windows? Will the pfsense still be runing at the background or do i need a totally seperate system for this? If i dont need, How do i configure my windows os to communicate with the pfsense installed in the hard disk

• @Thompson,

Are you trying this in your desktop machine? Pfsense is a router if you configure network through pfsense it should UP continuously for uninterrupted internet connection.

3. William says:

This might have been helpful if this site had not put ‘https://www.tecmint.com’ at the bottom of each graphic. As it is now, I can’t read the last line in some of the pics.

4. This tutorial is very good! I wish if you could do another configuring dual wan loadbalancing and failover

5. Chanuka says:

This is good Article and I have setup Pfsense by using this article…

6. DJ says:

I just heard about pfSense a couple of days ago, and that its great for all kinds of uses, including home networks. What kind of device should I install it on if I want it to cover my whole network? Can I install it on a router or what?

7. Ratan says:

Dear Admin,

This is very help full for those want to install pfSense. I want to know that can we use pfSense
    free of cost and without any license in corporate network.

8. Reinier says:

Great topic, Will install pfsense shortly on an older dl360 g4 see how it works

9. June maitim says:

Hi Sir,
    Just want to ask what if I have a static WAN Ip and gateway from my ISP, what should be my LAN settings?
    Thanks in advance

10. Rick G says:

Great to see an article about pfsense. I think pfsense is often overlooked by Linux users. I have alternated using pfsense and ipfire for my home network. I use HP thin clients with expansion chassis for dual intel gb nic. (In the past I used older thin client with bulit in pci slot.) I have found both firewalls work very well in flash install. I currently use ipfire only because it allowed me to turn the built-in wifi into an access point. (I could not figure out how to do this with pfsense). Maybe you could future articles about flash install and configuration of pfsense for other readers? Thanks!

@Rick,
      This is just the part one of the series, ther are more advance articles on pfSense to come under this series..stay tuned..