How to Manage Zentyal PDC (Primary Domain Controller) from Windows System – Part 2

Matei Cezar

I'am a computer addicted guy, a fan of open source and linux based system software, have about 4 years experience with Linux distributions desktop, servers and bash scripting.

1. Juris says:

Hi! Thanks for great tutorial!
    Just wondering – why i can’t see CNAME in web GUI which was added from Microsoft RSAT?

2. Pekka says:

@Matei Cezar

Hi, I’m quite new to server stuff and trying to learn something for fun. Just wanted to thank you for these amazing how-to’s you’ve created for us noobs to figure out.

Absolutely phenomenal work. Thank you.

3. Matei Cezar says:

@Chris: Try update time settings using the following command on Zentyal PDC:
    sudo ntpdate -ud your_domain.tld

4. Steven Tech says:

I can’t login window 8.1 pro to domain zentyal 3.4( community). My message is user or password is wrong. pls help me fix it.

• Chris says:

It is an issue I am having also. I log in with local admin and correct the system time. I have noticed the system time is not kept up to date properly. I am looking on a solution on how to fix it at my church.

5. bilal says:

Hi Mate,

I have installed zentyal server in my office its is working fine but there are few updates showing in the dashboard page should i install the updates on the live zentyal server.

Please help

6. Matei Cezar says:

@Gary Schiltz :Zentyal Web Interface it has limitations on configuring Active Directory ( you cant edit GPO, you cant add reverse DNS zones and many more , so yes…Microsoft RSAT offers extended capabilities over Zentyal Web Admin Tool ( way more )!

7. Gary Schiltz says:

I really appreciate these Zentyal how-to’s – they should pay you :-) Actually, this series may just push me over into Zentyal territory – I’ve been debating with myself about whether to use Zentyl or ClearOS.

I’m new to Active Directory administration, and have a question: is there any reason to use Microsoft’s Remote Administration Tools, rather than Zentyal’s web GUI interface? Do you show this just to prove that Zentyal can be truly a replacement for a Microsoft Server OS, or are there (important?) capabilities that only Microsoft’s tools offer?

8. Guido Rolon says:

Only Windows 8 can be joined to a Zentyal domain or also Win7 ? Both of them can do it.
    I dit it.

9. matei cezar ( author) says:

You can join in Zentyal 3.4 PDC all Windows related OS ( Windows XP , 7 . 8 , 8.1 , even Windows Server 2003/2008/2012 also ) and you can surley join Linux related distributions like Ubuntu , CentOS or other ) . Soon I will publish a tutorial on how to join Ubuntu 13.10 and Centos 6.5 in Zentyal 3.4 PDC so stay tunned .
    As with GPO on all Windows related OS the compatibility is very good ….I had no probles in this matter so far ….I think that is the same like GPO compatibility on Windows 2003 Server Edition .

10. Ivan says:

Only Windows 8 can be joined to a Zentyal domain or also Win7 ? How good is the GPO compatibility with Win7/8/8.1 ?