Install Cacti (Network Monitoring) on RHEL/CentOS 7.x/6.x/5.x and Fedora 24-12

3. Get your own self-hosted blog with a Free Domain at ($3.95/month).

Ravi Saive

I am Ravi Saive, creator of TecMint. A Computer Geek and Linux Guru who loves to share tricks and tips on Internet. Most Of My Servers runs on Open Source Platform called Linux. Follow Me: Twitter, Facebook and Google+

1. sAm IT says:

I am getting an error.

Error: your MYSQL timezone database is not populated. please populate the database before proceeding

I found many solutions on via google but none is working for me.
    the most popular solutions are

1) shell> mysql_tzinfo_to_sql /usr/share/zoneinfo | mysql -u root mysql

when I run the above command it shows an arrow like this ( —-> ), after that I don’t know what to do.

2) second solution was
    grant select on mysql.time_zone_name to [email protected] identified by ‘**your pass**)

when I run this second solution command it accepts it but still error is same.

please help ASAP

@Sam,

Try these commands to fix that MYSQL timezone database is not populated error.

# cd cacti/cli
      # php repair_database.php --force
      # php upgrade_database.php

it will solve your problem..

• sAm IT says:

thanks for the reply

now I am having an error at cacti installation wiz screen as

Spine Binary File Location: The path to Spine binary.

/usr/local/spine/bin/spine (X)

means there is some problem with the location of the file or maybe the file is not on correct location, or maybe the file is not present on the server

• sAm IT says:

i found out that i have to install the spine manually done installing it and configuring it
          im not getting how to set spine file location

second main issue im facing is that snmp queries not writable error at directory permissions checks screen

i saw a video a person entered command
          # chown -R apache:apache cacti
          and the issue got resolved ..but he entered this command in a directory names as “html” . may be he created it or whatever ..i cant find this directory

please help

2. D Singh says:

my cron job never runs. If I run it mannually I get following error:

[[email protected] share]# cacti php -q /usr/share/cacti/poller.php
    bash: cacti: command not found
    [[email protected] share]#

3. Jack says:

Thanx Ravi! Everything is working great so far with one hiccup. All the devices report ‘Up’. I add the create graphs for the device but when I view the graphs they are all blank. However, if I click on the graph in real-time the graph is populated. I am not sure what to do at this point any ideas?

Thanks
    jack

4. Jack says:

Will these instructions work on Fedora 25 server?

5. Deepak says:

Hello,

I having this error “FATAL: Cannot connect to MySQL server on ‘localhost‘. Please make sure you have specified a valid MySQL database name in ‘include/config.php‘ ” When I tried to connect the webserver. I am installing in a hyper-V enviorment with host also in same subnet . Do I need to change anything from the above? the “localhost ” would remain the same right ?

6. Jason says:

Ravi,

Maybe it’s just me but to get back to the last comments in this thread on your webpage I’ve had to hit the newer comments button literally about 15 times. You really need a button that takes everyone to the end.

@Jason,

Actually its difficult to show all comments in one page, it will make the page bigger in size and leads to slow loading, that’s the reason we have to break the comments into pages for easier navigation..

7. Jason says:

Nick,

In the instructions
    GRANT ALL ON cacti.* TO [email protected] IDENTIFIED BY ‘tecmint’;
    So you might want to try the password “tecmint” versus “YES”

8. Jason Hollis says:

I have run all the steps successfully as best I can validate. I’m running the latest Fedora with Apache 2.4 and I can’t get to http://localhost/cacti or http://localIPAddress/cacti or http://127.0.0.1/cacti.

Any hints?

@Jason,

I think Cacti installation was not successful, try to follow the instructions again carefully and see, if you still gets same error try to view the logs files of cacti and see what error it showing there?

9. Nick says:

I seemed to have missed something. When I type: [[email protected] ~]# mysql -u cacti -p cacti < /usr/share/doc/cacti-0.8.8b/cacti.sql
    (This is the correct location of the cacti.sql db on my machine)

Where is that password coming from? Am I creating a user called cacti on the local machine? I tried editing the db.php so that the $database_username was 'cacti' and the password was [password] but I get access denied when I use that password. I also tried creating a user on the local host named 'cacti' and giving it a password but I get the same error.

• Nick says:

Just to be clear, the error I get after attempting to use any passwords I’ve set is:
      ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user ‘cacti’@’localhost’ (using password: YES)

@Nick,

Have you followed Set MySQL Password and Create MySQL Cacti Database sections in the article carefully? if not try to follow these steps and set root password (if not set) and create cacti user as shown…then you can able to import cacti database to cacti db..

10. Leng says:

Dear Support,

I have a problem on show cacti.log on cacti. It say “Error /usr/share/cacti/log/cacti.log is not readable“. I try to give full permission to user apache and cacti but it still got same error.

[[email protected] log]# ll /usr/share/cacti/log/cacti.log