Linux Mint 17 “Qiana” Released – Installation Guide with Screenshots & Features

Best Affordable Linux and WordPress Services For Your Business
Outsource Your Linux and WordPress Project and Get it Promptly Completed Remotely and Delivered Online.

Matei Cezar

I'am a computer addicted guy, a fan of open source and linux based system software, have about 4 years experience with Linux distributions desktop, servers and bash scripting.

1. Harry Anderson says:

Hi there.
    Boy, I’v been trying to install this baby (mint17.1 cinnamon) for days now.
    As ‘newbie’ I couldn’t understand what was really the issue ..
    THiS tutorial finally(!) solve my existed broblems once and for all.
    Couldn’t be happier right now. Thank you!, ain’t just enough..

2. Njeru says:

I have been trying to understand this procedure do a fresh install on my Toshiba but all i do is get confused please do something more simpler for Newbies

3. Thomas Post says:

I have a brand new virgin self made computer using an ASUS H87M-Plus motherboard. After a lot of tinkering, I finally got a GRUB to show up and was able to launch LM17. The guide is excellent. Here are the changes I had to make.

Step 7 is wrong:

The next partition will hold the Boot Grub. Again select unallocated space -> New and use the following settings for this partition.

New size = ~300 MB
    File system = FAT32
    Label = EFI Boot

The file system must be FAT32 otherwise you cannot have EFI work.

Between Step 9 and 10 I added a few more partitions for future OSs.

Step 13 needs to be modified. Now that it is FAT32, you will have two flags to check: legacy_boot and msftdata

Now Step 18 has to be modified. Since the table is FAT32, you will get other options. You will not be able to “Format the Partition”, and when you click Change, you can select EFI boot. The program will know to mount it as /boot/efi.

When I made these changes, the computer actually had a Grub 2 and Linux Mint 17 was an option! I am now updating the OS.

4. Matei Cezar says:

If you laptop can support disabling UEFI and install it with Bios legacy then switch to this option and install Linux Mint with MBR partition scheme (only if your HDD is smaller than 2GB)

5. Margaret says:

I followed your mostly excellent instructions but would echo Rich’s and kggy’s comments above. I needed to go back and re-partition my laptop with regard to the EFI boot instructions and the flag for that partition which needs to be FAT32 format. If you have the time to update and correct this it would save trouble for other people.

Even though I read their comments before I started I did not know enough to understand their implication until I hit the problems myself.

I understand Charmaine’s frustration. I have a new Lenovo laptop with Win 8.1 and it took a bit of trouble, including finding out how to disable Secure boot and going to Lenovo websites, to find out how to interrupt the startup process to get my computer to boot from the DVD. My previous experience getting Mint16 working dual boot with Win XP taught me a lot of patience!

6. Charmaine says:

It doesn’t work.

Linux most assuredly does NOT boot up from either usb OR dvd.

To think that I’d wanted to entirely remove all things Microsoft from my pc and go with Linux after all I’d read about it – I was obviously deluded.

It’s clearly not as ‘user friendly’ or as well made as geeks claim.

As for it being ‘great for beginners’…really? What the hell is a ‘grub’? Or a ‘partition’? Or a ‘legacy’?

Why don’t you linux people learn to talk straight. Tell the average non-geek that your system is NOT for beginner’s and that it mostly doesn’t work unless one has a degree in ‘Geekdom’ and ‘Jibberish’.

7. Ruben Desangles says:

Thanks for the tutorial. Used it to install LinuxMint 17 32bit on a MacPro2,1 and it is running perfectly. I tried using the 64bit version but I couldn’t get it to boot from CD or USB.

Again, thank you very much.

8. Rich Foulkes says:

Thank you so much for your tutorial.

I had to change your partition recommendation to work on a Acer RL80 mini pc. It was a clean install on a new hard drive with no other operating systems. I had to move the EFI Boot partition first, FAT32 format and set flag to “boot” and gave it ~ 550 mb. If I didn’t do that I got a warning during Mint install saying “Go back to menu and correct problem?” and notes about normally requiring “EFI Boot partition”.

Other than that, your help was spot on!

I had no idea about BIOS morphing into EFI/UEFI. learned something new. :)

Rich

9. Clay Heydorn says:

Thanks for the tutorial. I been meaning to install with a home partition for some time now. Your tutorial made it easy. Very much appreciated!

10. kggy says:

Hello! I do not understand why you did the first two partitions, grub and boot legacy. Systems are needed only if new EFI BIOS / UEFI? Usually partitioned as follows: “/”, “swap”, “/ home” and a partition for data / backup. One more thing and it’s OK and you? Thank you! Congratulations for this tutorial!