Install a Complete Mail Server with Postfix and Webmail in Debian 9

Best Affordable Linux and WordPress Services For Your Business
Outsource Your Linux and WordPress Project and Get it Promptly Completed Remotely and Delivered Online.

Matei Cezar

I'am a computer addicted guy, a fan of open source and linux based system software, have about 4 years experience with Linux distributions desktop, servers and bash scripting.

1. Ash says:

Hello

I’m failing at step 20 can someone please help:

[email protected]:~# nc localhost 25
    220 mail.hidden.com ESMTP Postfix (Debian/GNU)
    421 4.4.2 mail.hidden.com Error: timeout exceeded
    [email protected]:~#

2. Samuel Weber says:

Hello Sir,

Thanks in advance for your help and your great article. I followed your guide and now I am at step20:

# nc localhost 25

results in
    220 mail.mydomain.com ESMTP

and then my command-line hangs. i waited several minutes to make sure. only way to process is ctrl+c.

any hint whats wrong?

netstat -tlpn from step19 showed me correct values.

greetings, Sam

@Samuel,

Nothing wrong, your setup is working perfectly….

• Samuel Weber says:

@Ravi Saive

Thank you for your fast response! So when you said my setup is working I finished the other steps in your guide.
        Now i can send E-Mails via mail() (PHP) or via Web mail-Interface.

But i cannot receive Mails from Outside. I get following Error-MSG as response from my test-gmail-Account:

> Delivery Status Notification (Failure)
        > Error occurred at sending your message to [email protected]
        > Response from Remote-Server
        > 550 Unroutable address

Any hint? You really would save my day <3

Thanks in advance, with best regards
        Sam

@Samuel,

You are sending the email to a non-existing recipient domain, it shows a ‘550-Unrouteable address’ error.

• Samuel Weber says:

@Ravi,

I feel like a moron ;) Everything works like a charm. You are a hero! Thank you sir

3. Pierre says:

Hello, when I try to log in to RainLoop with my login, a message will appear indicating “Authentication failed”, I said that all the previous steps work perfectly.

The log window shows me this:

"imap-login: Disconnected (auth failed, 1 attempts in 4 secs): user = , method = PLAIN, rip = 127.0.0.1, lip = 127.0.0.1, secured, session = "

I can not find where the problem comes from, does anyone have an idea? Thank you in advance :)

Pierre

4. Moreno Andreo says:

Does it work with multiple mail domains? (say [email protected], [email protected], and so on).

Thanks

5. fatemeh karimi says:

Thanks for your perfect article. it workes without any problem :))

6. Thomas says:

Hi, When I execute the following code:

nc localhost 143
    x1 LOGIN user pass

The return is: x1 OK ……. Logged in. But I can’t login with those credentials in the web interface

Any ideas?

7. James R says:

Hi, would this work with an apache server running at the same time?

8. Simone says:

Hello,

I’m getting a ‘Temporary lookup failure’ when trying to send an email to a valid mail address. From logs:

(451, '4.3.0 : Temporary lookup failure')}

Any suggestion?

Thanks
    Simone

• Simone Ceccolini says:

Please consider the mail sending is failing from any host outside the mail server. In main.cf parameter I put the corresponding host ip but the mail sending is failing.

Thanks
      Simone

9. igaz says:

Hello

In postfix main.cf (install mailserver rainlop)

smtpd_tls_cert_file=/etc/ssl/certs/ssl-cert-snakeoil.pem
    smtpd_tls_key_file=/etc/ssl/private/ssl-cert-snakeoil.key

should i change it to

smtpd_tls_cert_file=/etc/ssl/certs/example_com.pem
    smtpd_tls_key_file=/etc/ssl/private/example_com.pem

@Igaz,

The ssl-cert-snakeoil.pem and ssl-snakeoil.key is created by ssl-cert for snakeoil user and should not be deleted:..

10. Imed says:

Hi, I’m following this article to install mail server at work. I’m stuck at this step:

nc localhost 143
    x1 LOGIN user pass

the terminal replies:
    x1 NO [AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] Authentication failed.

But I am sure from user and pass, I created it from the guide, you used “Matie“, I user “imed”, username and password are the same.

Any Idea?