How to Setup “Squid Proxy” Server on Ubuntu and Debian

Ravi Saive

I am Ravi Saive, creator of TecMint. A Computer Geek and Linux Guru who loves to share tricks and tips on Internet. Most Of My Servers runs on Open Source Platform called Linux. Follow Me: Twitter, Facebook and Google+

1. gaurav says:

thank you, this is very nice very helpful

2. Adam says:

Is any way to include password for this set up? Let’s say I want to share this proxy with some people, but I want to control access in case I don’t want to share access any more. Thank you in advance.

3. Bagus Dwi Prasetyo says:

Hey tecmint, what is your Linux distribution that you use in this tutorial.? thanks before.

4. Reinhardt says:

There is a GUI tool for managing squid and many other applications called WEBMIN

5. Suraj says:

hey after installing squid you told to go to firefox and enter in connection settings at HTTP my proxy server ip address.where can i find that?

6. Rod says:

I am a linux newbie running ubuntu latest version. Is there a GUI to use after installing Squid? I don’t see how I can see it working without a GUI (remember I am not a Linux guy) – I’d consider installing in Windows if I can get a graphical interface to use afterwards.
    I am after stats as to what websites are the most visited etc. Can you help?

7. prabhat tripathi says:

What version of Ubuntu is that, I will create cache server on our network.

@Prabhat,
      We’ve used latest Ubuntu version to setup squid proxy server, you can use any Ubuntu version, the instructions will work 100%.

8. Kervs says:

What version of Ubuntu is that, I will create proxy server on our company. Thanks in advance man..

9. ricky tan says:

May I know how to configure caching in squid?

Also what is the ideal system hardware requirements if Im going to build a transparent proxy with caching?

Thanks

10. ashish says:

can you share tutorial of transparent squid proxy in same network ,, like squid server is of ip 192.168.10.1 and network is 192.168.10/24 ?