Install TightVNC Server in RHEL/CentOS and Fedora to Access Remote Desktops

Best Affordable Linux and WordPress Services For Your Business
Outsource Your Linux and WordPress Project and Get it Promptly Completed Remotely and Delivered Online.

Ravi Saive

I am Ravi Saive, creator of TecMint. A Computer Geek and Linux Guru who loves to share tricks and tips on Internet. Most Of My Servers runs on Open Source Platform called Linux. Follow Me: Twitter, Facebook and Google+

1. Simon says:

Hello,

This is not really TightVNC but TigerVNC. I wanted TightVNC to be able to only share one application and not the whole desktop.
    Do you know how to do it with TigerVNC ?

Kindly

2. antechno says:

i have create some video tutorial about this,
    your article is my source,
    thnk’s a lot

this is my video

@Antechno,
      Are you taken written permission from us before creating videos from our articles? this is against our copyright violation..I request you to remove article either give proper credit to original article..

3. luke says:

hi i did all steps and try start the service get this error
    /etc/init.d/vncserver start
    plymouth: ply-event-loop.c:493: ply_event_loop_new: Assertion `loop->epoll_fd >=
    0′ failed.
    /etc/init.d/functions: line 543: 28173 Aborted /bin/plymouth –d
    etails

system: centos6.4

please help sending me crazy

4. DJ MHA says:

Thanks for great efforts. It working great. Can you tell us how to uninstall it properly?

5. James Roger says:

Above steps seems to be quite complicated. I would recommend using a RHUB remote support servers for remotely accessing computers. It is easy to use.

6. mohamad says:

hi

my problem is in step 5
    when i try to open commend : /etc/init.d/vncserver start

this error showing :

Starting VNC server: no displays configured [FAILED]

on centos-6-x86

7. Keshav says:

Worked for me thanks!! :)

8. boat says:

after “/etc/init.d/vncserver start” vncserver listen in 127.0.0.1:5902
    how to specify vncserver listen ip.

9. MotherDawg says:

Oh Boy ! ***************************************************************

Close but no cigar…

@ Ravi

1st, at the end of step 5, you write:
    “Once, it created, set a desktop resolution in xstartup file. For this, you must stop running VNC service.”

The at the beginning of step 6 you go:
    Open file “/etc/sysconfig/vncservers” file your choice of editor. Here I’m using “nano” editor. Create new VNC Session for “tecmint” with below command. where “-geomerty” is used define desktop resolution.

??? Ambiguous file references ???

In xstartup in the user’s home directory or in /etc/sysconfig/vncservers do we add the Resolution setting code ?

2nd, This is ok for sysint and iptables. If, like the gentlemen named Matheis, as of the date of publication of this article, one would be using an advance distribution like Fedora 18, out Jan 15 2013 this article is already old school.

With systemd and firewalld, most of this nice try does not work.

MotherDawg
    Aka: NetWeezurd

• Keshav says:

Hey my fedora too required me to tweak around the systemd. Could you create a page with how to set up vnc with config files under systemd

10. Madhu says:

I have installed VNC as per above tutorial

now Vnc viewer is asking for session password after keeping the server in idel conditins for some time..when i entered the login password its not working

kindly suggest what can be done