How to Install Ubuntu 16.10/16.04 Alongside With Windows 10 or 8 in Dual-Boot

3. Get your own self-hosted blog with a Free Domain at ($3.95/month).

Matei Cezar

I'am a computer addicted guy, a fan of open source and linux based system software, have about 4 years experience with Linux distributions desktop, servers and bash scripting.

1. Mirtoko says:

I have a problem followed all your steps and Linux works fine and grub too but when I press to boot into windows says something like “image cannot be found” but I didn’t uninstall windows because I consulted my disk partitions and windows is there.

how do I solve this?

2. Santiago says:

Hi, thanks for the tutorial. Can you please explain why is it recommended to have one partition for root and another one for home? Cheers

3. Paul Smith says:

Thanks for this great guide.

I wonder if you could help. I do step 3, but at step 8, where yours is listed as free space, mine says ‘unusable’ and I can’t install.

4. Barry says:

Does not Grub boot for choice of OS!!

5. Jayson says:

I followed this guide precisely and am not presented with a new grub menu upon reboot. Ubuntu installed just fine and the partitions are all still present. Just cannot boot to Ubuntu now :(

• Matei Cezar says:

Power the machine and go to UEFI settings -> Boot Options -> BBS Priorities. From there, on some UEFI machines, you can setup what OS should be loaded by default.

• Jayson says:

Thank you. I will give it a try! Because when I go to recovery options and choose to boot from USB/live CD/UEFI device, Ubuntu appears there but nowhere else lol

• Victor Arellano says:

How can I access the UEFI settings menu? Everytime I power up my computer it goes right back to the grub prompt.

• Larry says:

I had the same issue – when windows hibernate, it writes to the EFI partition things up a bit – you might be able to disable that and restart and have it work, but I had the same problem and ended up just reinstalling and disabling hibernate before restarting. :-|

• Matei Cezar says:

It depends on the motherboard vendor. Usual keys for accessing BIOS/UEFI are F2, F8, F10 , F12, Del, Esc. Consult the motherboard docs to identify the proper UEFI menu key. On some laptop models you have to push a button placed in one side of the machine (usually near charger) with a needle to enter BIOS/UEFI menu.

6. Dorin C. says:

This is also a MUST READ from NeoSmart/EasyBCD website:

7. Shrey Naygandhi says:

just mention that you should not connect to wifi during installation or you will have problems in installation of snapd . Wasted nearly five hours because of it.