How to Install Ubuntu 16.10/16.04 Alongside With Windows 10 or 8 in Dual-Boot

3. Get your own self-hosted blog with a Free Domain at ($3.95/month).

Matei Cezar

I'am a computer addicted guy, a fan of open source and linux based system software, have about 4 years experience with Linux distributions desktop, servers and bash scripting.

1. Aneesh Dua says:

I have a 256 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD. What do you recommend, where should i install Ubuntu?v(SSD or HDD). Also, of the ‘home’ and ‘root’ partitions, in which one is Ubuntu to be installed? If i choose to install on my SSD partition, do i need swap space?( i have 16 GB RAM).

• Matei Cezar says:

I recommend that you install the system root partition on SSD and you can use the HDD for home storage partition if you want. At 16GB of RAM, the swap partition is quite useless, but if you still want it you can allocate 2 or 4 GB of SSD storage for swap.

2. Jason says:

I completed an install of Ubuntu 16 on my laptop (a Toshiba P845t) only after disabling Secure Boot. Linux worked fine and I installed a lot of useful stuff. However now Grub seems to have disappeared and it goes straight into Windows. I have tried booting from the install disk and running boot repair, but it hasn’t fixed it. Why won’t Windows play fair?

• Matei Cezar says:

Try to go to UEFI settings after reboot -> Boot Options -> BBS Priorities. From there, on some UEFI machines, you can setup what OS should be loaded by default.

• Jason says:

Thank you for your help, Matei. I will try that, thanks. Have a good afternoon!

• Jason says:

No good. The option doesn’t exist within the UEFI settings, and I couldn’t find it in Startup Settings either.

• Jason says:

I found an alternative, if inelegant solution: the line

bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\ubuntu\shimx64.efi

gets me back into booting ubuntu, so I’ve put it in the startup folder as a batch file. Every time Windows messes me about, it is forced to correct its evil ways!

3. Ziad says:

When i shrink a partition and restart to load into the installation, it says the space that I freed is unusable

• Matei Cezar says:

This is the classic case of a MBR disk with four primary partitions. Just delete the last partition, create a new partition as extended and then other partition as logical in the extended partition.

4. Mirtoko says:

I have a problem followed all your steps and Linux works fine and grub too but when I press to boot into windows says something like “image cannot be found” but I didn’t uninstall windows because I consulted my disk partitions and windows is there.

how do I solve this?

5. Santiago says:

Hi, thanks for the tutorial. Can you please explain why is it recommended to have one partition for root and another one for home? Cheers

6. Paul Smith says:

Thanks for this great guide.

I wonder if you could help. I do step 3, but at step 8, where yours is listed as free space, mine says ‘unusable’ and I can’t install.

7. Barry says:

Does not Grub boot for choice of OS!!

8. Jayson says:

I followed this guide precisely and am not presented with a new grub menu upon reboot. Ubuntu installed just fine and the partitions are all still present. Just cannot boot to Ubuntu now :(

• Matei Cezar says:

Power the machine and go to UEFI settings -> Boot Options -> BBS Priorities. From there, on some UEFI machines, you can setup what OS should be loaded by default.

• Jayson says:

Thank you. I will give it a try! Because when I go to recovery options and choose to boot from USB/live CD/UEFI device, Ubuntu appears there but nowhere else lol

• Victor Arellano says:

How can I access the UEFI settings menu? Everytime I power up my computer it goes right back to the grub prompt.

• Larry says:

I had the same issue – when windows hibernate, it writes to the EFI partition things up a bit – you might be able to disable that and restart and have it work, but I had the same problem and ended up just reinstalling and disabling hibernate before restarting. :-|

• Matei Cezar says:

It depends on the motherboard vendor. Usual keys for accessing BIOS/UEFI are F2, F8, F10 , F12, Del, Esc. Consult the motherboard docs to identify the proper UEFI menu key. On some laptop models you have to push a button placed in one side of the machine (usually near charger) with a needle to enter BIOS/UEFI menu.

9. Dorin C. says:

This is also a MUST READ from NeoSmart/EasyBCD website:

10. Shrey Naygandhi says:

just mention that you should not connect to wifi during installation or you will have problems in installation of snapd . Wasted nearly five hours because of it.