Most of us are already familiar with Torrent, Torrent Files, Torrent Clients and have used them at some point of time and still using them. Torrent download may be legal or illegal and it totally depends upon the data you are downloading and your local administration protocols. It is very difficult to place a torrent in the Legal/Illegal category.
From a long list of available BitTorrent client, ‘Vuze‘ stands different from others. Here in this post we are going to throw light on ‘Vuze‘ in verbose.
What is Vuze?
Vuze is a free BitTorrent Client which is used to transfer files using BitTorrent Protocol. Vuze BitTorrent client is developed in Java programming Language by ‘Azureus Softwares‘ some 10 years ago and was previously called as (Azureus). Vuze is released freely under GNU General Public License for all major platforms, architectures and languages with restriction in reverse engineering and sub-licensing and was configured to run on default port number 52870.
Features of Vuze
- Search for torrents online, right from the Vuze interface.
- Get the contents of your choice in future using subscription.
- Faster downloading.
- Watch the downloaded files in full screen mode.
- Smooth playing of files, without the need to buffer.
- Offline playing for Future.
- Supports Drag-and-Drop of downloaded files to play on desirable Application.
- Inbuilt embedded Video Player, capable of playing HD files.
- Convert your downloaded video file for your specific device (Blackberry, Xbox, Android, ipad, …).
- Share Torrents Supported.
- Chatting Supported.
- Comments and Ratings, Supported.
- Publishing own content Supported.
- Transferring Downloaded files directly to External Devices.
- Get Specification of Upload/Download speeds.
- Create own Torrent Supported.
- Encryption from security point of view, supported.
- Manual Proxy Setting.
- Peer Exchange.
- Modes for – Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced End users.
- Setting of priority of files being downloaded, supported.
- Highly Configurable.
Installing Vuze BitTorrent Client in Linux
Vuze is available in the repository of most of the standard Linux distributions and it is easy to download and install it from there using package manager, without a single glitch.
If incase, it is not available in the repo of the distribution you are using, you need to build it yourself, from the source which can be downloaded from the link below.
Next, use the following commands to build it from source. The following instruction works on almost all modern Linux distributions.
$ tar -xjvf VuzeInstaller.tar.bz2 $ cd vuze $ sudo chmod +x azureus $ ./azureus
Alternatively, you can also use GetDeb unofficial repository to install latest open source applications under current Ubuntu Linux release, in an easy to install manner.
Press ‘Ctrl + Alt + T‘ to open the terminal and run the following commands. The following instructions works on Ubuntu and Linux Mint to install Vuze in your machine.
$ wget http://archive.getdeb.net/install_deb/getdeb-repository_0.1-1~getdeb1_all.deb $ sudo dpkg -i getdeb-repository_0.1-1~getdeb1_all.deb $ sudo apt-get update $ sudo apt-get install vuze
Once you’ve installed successfully, launch the Vuze.
Search for a Torrent File right from the Vuze GUI Interface.
Downloading a Torrent.
Playing the downloaded movie from the vuze interface, directly.
Registering for a subscription so that the desired content appears in the side pane.
Vuze supports a lot of plugins, for customisation.
Prior to Vuze, I was using Transmission BitTorrent Client. The experience with vuze was very smooth and perfect. Vuze perform out of the box and performs everything it promises. It is a wonderful BitTorrent Application, you must give it a try.
That’s all for now. I’ll be here again with another Interesting Topic. Till then Stay tuned and connected to Tecmint. Don’t forget to provide us with your Valuable feedback in our comment section.