Linux Mint 15 Codename ‘Olivia’ released on 29 May 2013 which is based on Ubuntu 13.04. It’s available in two editions ‘MATE’ and ‘Cinnamon’. Linux mint is a Ubuntu based distribution and is compatible with Ubuntu Software repositories. Linux Mint name of the releases are in alphabetical order. Linux Mint first release in 2006 named was “Ada” second was “Barbara” and so on. Olivia is pronounced ‘oh-LIV-ee-ah’. It is of Latin origin and the meaning of Olivia is “olive tree”. The olive tree is a symbol of fruitfulness, beauty, and dignity. Keeping that beauty and dignity of Linux Mint in mind, let’s start installation process with ease.
Linux Mint 15 Features
- New tool MintSources aka Software Sources developed from scratch to manage software’s.
- MintDrivers (Driver Manager) is available.
- MDM with 3 greeters: GTK Greeter , Themeable GDM Greeter and HTML Greeter.
- Cinnamon 1.8 with Nemo file manager.
- Cinnamon features with own screensaver. You can lockdown system with message on screen.
- Mate 1.6
- Kernel version 3.8.x which supports for UEFI Secure Boot.
- Supports for Upstream components.
For a list of complete features reviews and download links of Linux Mint 15, can be found at Linux Mint 15 Review and Download Links
Installation of Linux Mint 15 with Screenshots
1. Boot Computer with Linux Mint 15 Installation medio or ISO.
2. Welcome screen, click on ‘Start Linux Mint’.
3. It’ll take you directly to Live Environment Desktop from where you will find out and test the Linux Mint. To install on Hard Drive, click on ‘Install Linux Mint’ from desktop CD icon.
4. Welcome, Select Language and click on ‘Continue’.
5. Preparing to install Linux Mint, click on ‘Continue’.
6. Installation type, choose ‘Something Else’ if you want to customize partition by your own. Two options ‘Encrypt the new Linux Mint installation for security’ and ‘Use LVM with the new Linux Mint installation’ included in Linux Mint Version 15. Choose appropriate options and click on ‘Install Now’.
7. Regional Settings, click on ‘Continue’.
8. Choose Keyboard layout, click on ‘Continue’.
9. Type user details like name, desired username and password to login post installation, click on ‘Continue’.
10. Linux Mint is being installed, Files are getting copied and installed on system. Relax and sit back… Have a sip of coffee as this may take several minutes depending on system and internet speed.
11. Linux Mint 15 installation completed. Eject boot media and reboot system, click on ‘Restart now’.
12. A brand new HTML greeter, login with username and password created during installation, click on ‘Ok’.
13. Linux Mint Software Sources screen.
14. Linux Mint Software Manager screen.
15. Linux Mint 15 base system is ready. This is end of the installation.