Tecmint’s Guide to Red Hat RHCSA / RHCE Certification Preparation Study Guide

3. Get your own self-hosted blog with a Free Domain at ($3.95/month).

Ravi Saive

I am Ravi Saive, creator of TecMint. A Computer Geek and Linux Guru who loves to share tricks and tips on Internet. Most Of My Servers runs on Open Source Platform called Linux. Follow Me: Twitter, Facebook and Google+

1. Siva says:

Hi Ravi,

I understand that this book is one year old now.. Does the syllabus remains the same or is there any major changes with the current exam format which is been updated in this book if I would like to buy now ?

@Siva,

The RHCSA/RHCE syllabus remains same till date, and the book is updated regularly with new updates based on new syllabus..

2. Nestor says:

Hello Ravi,

I wanted to ask you a question about the pdf file. I would like to know if your pdf file was created like the usual ones files created by RedHat called “Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7
    System Administrator’s Guide” or Your pdf file was created trying to explain how to perform the tasks needed of only objective of the exam?

If so, I would like to buy it. I will wait for your reply.

Thanks.
    Nestor.

@Nestor,

Our PDF book contains all the RedHat RHCSA/RHCE certification exam objectives with clear explanations along with practical examples and screenshots that will enough to crack a certification. In fact whoever purchased our book they are passed out the exam in one attempt..

3. NAUSHIL R ANSARI says:

Hello Sir,

Thanks for creating this amazing RedHat certification preparation book..

I don’t have any words to express, but one thing I definitely want to say “Thanks Ravi Sir and TecMint team” for creating this amazing book for us.

Thanks

4. Daniel Bello says:

Hi:
    I need to thank you Tecmint team about this helpful web. I have passed both exams RHCSA and RHCE. Many of your advices was really helpful.
    Thanks again!!!

5. Jose Rios says:

I passed the RHCSA exam, thank you Ravi… thank you Tecmint.

@Jose,

Oh That’s really good to hear, congratulations man for cracking the RHCSA exam, any plan in taking RHCE? All credit goes to our author Gabriel…

• Jose Rios says:

Hi Ravi,

Of course! I’m training myself to be prepared for the RHCE exam. It’ll be a great challenge!!!

Regards!

6. Ruud van Zundert says:

Hi, I have another suggestion. Having just tried exam ex200 and not even being able to start it, due to the first question (which I am not allowed to mention) can I please please ask you for the sake of others to add a small section about “how to change the root password when that password is not known/not given”. This avoids wasting time in turning up for the exam as well as the 500 euros (the price in The Netherlands) plus vat thx a lot

Ruud

7. carlos says:

the book is great, help me to obtain the certification RHCSA .

good book for few money.

thanks ravi!

@Carlos,

Good to know that you’ve passed RHCSA exam, any plan to take RHCE? and thanks for finding this useful all credit goes to our author Gabriel..

8. Ruud van Zundert says:

Hi. Can I make a suggestion on the LDAP section? As I was going through the steps, I decided to do the ldap client side first, so issued:

# yum update && yum install openldap openldap-clients nss-pam-ldapd

and this worked fine. The next part, however, did not:

# systemctl enable slapd.service

as it could not find it.

It turned out that this part was part of the ‘server’ setup, but that was not clear. So I installed openldap-servers and then the command worked.

The next hurdle was this: creating the ldaprootpasswd.ldif file. It did not state ‘where’ to place it, so in the end I realized it could be anywhere.

[[email protected] ~]# ldapadd -H ldapi:/// -f ldaprootpasswd.dif
    SASL/GSS-SPNEGO authentication started
    ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: Local error (-2)
    additional info: SASL(-1): generic failure: GSSAPI Error:
    Unspecified GSS failure.  Minor code may provide more information (SPNEGO cannot find mechanisms to negotiate)

Google pointed me at this website: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1206910

which suggested I add an extra parameter “-Y EXTERNAL” … and then it worked:

[[email protected] ~]# ldapadd -H ldapi:/// -f ldaprootpasswd.dif -Y EXTERNAL
    SASL/EXTERNAL authentication started
    SASL username: gidNumber=0+uidNumber=0,cn=peercred,cn=external,cn=auth
    SASL SSF: 0
    modifying entry "olcDatabase={0}config,cn=config"

Might be worth making some additional comments in the LDAP section.

Cheers … Ruud

@Ruud,

Yes, you can suggest any solutions about the chapters in this RHCSA/RHCE book as far its 100% true. We will review and correct the errors if any in the book as per suggestions given by our readers.

9. Ruud van Zundert says:

Hi, On page 54 the RHCSA pdf states:

Let’s give user gacanepa read and write access to /mnt/playground/testfile.txt. Run as root

# setfacl -R -m u:gacanepa:rwx /mnt/playground

and you’ll have successfully added an ACL that allows gacanepa to write to the test file.

This is not correct. It should say:

# setfacl -R -m u:gacanepa:rwx /mnt/playground/testfile.txt

This is the second ‘typo’ I have found in this pdf. When will you make the corrections for the next person who pays for the pdf?

Regards
    Ruud

@Ruud,

Thanks for pointing out the mistake in RHCSA section, we will correct all typos in the next updated version of pdf, till then stay tuned to TecMint..

• Travis says:

I think maybe both these are wrong. if were giving access for a specific file, we don’t need the -R (--recursive). So it looks like the only thing that needs to be changed from the original command is to include the filename in the path and remove the -R.

# setfacl -m u:gacanepa:rwx /mnt/playground/testfile.txt

10. Ruud van Zundert says:

Example 7: Creating hard and soft links
    There is no better way to visualize the relation between a file and a hard or symbolic link that point to it, than
    to create those links. In the following screenshot you will see that the file and the hard link that points to it
    share the same inode and both are identified by the same disk usage of 466 bytes. On the other hand,
    creating a hard link results in an extra disk usage of 5 bytes

The last sentence should read … On the other hand, creating a SOFT link results in an extra disk usage of 5 bytes

cheers … Ruud