Ubuntu 14.04 (Trusty Tahr) LTS Released – Installation Guide and Few System Tweaks

Best Affordable Linux and WordPress Services For Your Business
Outsource Your Linux and WordPress Project and Get it Promptly Completed Remotely and Delivered Online.

Matei Cezar

I'am a computer addicted guy, a fan of open source and linux based system software, have about 4 years experience with Linux distributions desktop, servers and bash scripting.

1. os says:

Nice guide, but why do you recommend 2xRAM for the swap partition size?

I think is too much for swap, usually this measure it was for old PCs, in the past with PCS having less than 2GB ram memory, may be was a good size.

Present day, we see 8, 16, 32GB ram memory, even more in PCS, laptops etc…

My recommend it’s to use same size of ram memory, and even probably you will never see too much use…

If you are not sure about this, you can check your swap use:

> cat /proc/swaps

> free -m

or

> vmstat

Check how much size and when is your swap used and you will know if you need all of this GB or not.

;)

bye.

2. Matei Cezar says:

@lymus: You can install Ubuntu in dual-boot with Windows with no problem….just create at least two partitions: on one, first, install Windows, and then use the other partition to install Ubuntu.

3. lymus says:

Wow thats complicated compared to a windows installation. I’m way to scared of losing data. I think they have a bit of work to do on the installation process if they want to attract xp users who like myself have limited knowledge of ubuntu. All this partitiong and mounting means nothing to me and as I said i’m way to scared of losing data, why can’t it install alongside existing data?

• jyotirmoy says:

Believe me, its very easy as compared to win to use. Its fast to install, boot. So many drivers are already bundled. Its easy to connect via usb, LAN or whatever. U nothing hv to do actually.

4. DeDust says:

@ Josh : “/” means the root which means its the top level of a linux folder structure.If you are creating the swap space you better choose “Use as” Field as swap. then the mount point field will get Dim (No selections). This applies only when you are creating a swap space. Other than that you should go with the “Mount point” as /.
    For ex : you can create /Home, /var

5. DeDust says:

Hey,

I have gone through the steps and i would like to know why don’t you create a /boot.

6. Ignasius says:

Forget it..
    I’ve found that the “home” is not under “device”, it’s under “places”.
    And the size is just right.

Thank you for the helpful guide..

7. Ignasius says:

This is my first time installing Ubuntu.

Thank you so much for this helpful guide that help a newbie like me installing.

I need to ask something.

I’ve followed the guide and successfully installed ubuntu.

But, there is one thing that is wrong:

I cannot see my partition. There is only one named “Computer” that have the same size as the root partition “/” when I set it up.

But where are the other partition?

8. Éric says:

Great stuff! Worked like a charm. Thank you.

9. Josh says:

I’m new to Ubuntu, but I have followed the guide to the letter. Every time I try to create a “swap area” I get a pop-up saying “The mount point you entered is invalid.

Mount points must start with “/”. They cannot contain spaces.” all the guides i’ve seen show the “swap area” without the “/” symbol?

10. John says: