Installation of Ubuntu 15.04 (Vivid Vervet) Desktop on UEFI Firmware Systems

3. Get your own self-hosted blog with a Free Domain at ($3.95/month).

Matei Cezar

I’am a computer addicted guy, a fan of open source and linux based system software, have about 4 years experience with Linux distributions desktop, servers and bash scripting.

1. ampah suleiman says:

please my laptop(sony-vaio E-series) does not support secure booting and the original OS is windows 10 but i have now upgraded it to windows 10 but anytime after successful installation of ubuntu, the grub scree does not show up ……it boot straight to windows.
    please help

• Matei Cezar says:

Reinstall Ubuntu or boot with a live dvd and reistall the grub. Make sure you select the proper device for installing the grub, usually the first hdd, /dev/sda.

2. sachin salunkhe says:

after ubuntu 15.10 installation done i remove usb then ask again for installation

@Sachin,
      It seems you’ve removed USB before the installation complete or it suppose to complete, you may be interrupted the installation, which in results broken and asked you to re-install again.

3. Cristian says:

Hello,
    I have followed your guide all the way through installation complete. when I arrive at the reboot step, though I am getting in trouble.
    If I leave the USB in the port, it takes me through the same loop all over.
    If I remove it, I get the error message “ERROR CODE 1962 – NO OPERATING SYSTEM FOUND”.

I am installing Ubuntu 15.04 on a lenovo machine which had windows 8 installed as default.
    can you suggest me what I can do to install Ubuntu, as I have tried all possible set up configurations in the BIOS but none seems to work for me?

Thanks,
    Cristian

4. yogesh babar says:

Can I create a EFI partition of 10GB ?

5. Nate says:

I’ve just had a catastrophically failed 16 GB SSD system drive replaced and the CMOS updated (The other drive is a 256 GB SSD). I’ve been unable to reinstall 14.04 server and just received expert advice to install 14.04 under UEFI. Will your instructions work for 14.04? I’ve no experience with UEFI.

• Matei Cezar says:

Theoretically the instructions should be valid as long as you follow the steps and pay attention to UEFI settings! But, also, i don’t see any problem in installing Ubuntu under BIOS Legacy (you use MBR scheme for a 256 GB SSD).

6. Tania says:

Vivid Vervet has been installing itself for 12 hours now. I read the notice saying that the installation would take a few hours but I’m afraid this stoped being normal at 3:00, right?

• Matei Cezar says:

That’s to much time for an installation! Is you internet speed low? Usually it takes no more than max 15-20 minutes to install the entire system + updates with 100Mb/s internet speed and a dual-core CPU and a regular 5400 rpm HDD!

7. shrikant says:

The grub menu is not coming up after rebooti PC….I’m running win 8.1…it get stuck in ESC…PAUSE STARTUP……plz help

• Matei Cezar says:

Disable fast boot and secure boot options from UEFI settings, boot with a live cd/usb of Ubuntu Server from UEFI and use the option Rescue a broken system, mount the root partition and reinstall the system! Also, take notice that some UEFI firmware might not allow to install other unsupported Operating Systems. You should also consult the system manufacturer manuals before installing Linux!

8. manoj says:

Why you created 650MB EFI Partition? what is a reason?

9. Matei Cezar says:

No, that’s actually the default size made by installer when choosing automated partitioning!

10. anonymous says:

How did you come up with 650MB EFI Partition? Arbitrarily?