Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus) Installation Guide

3. Get your own self-hosted blog with a Free Domain at ($3.95/month).

Jesse Afolabi

I am an aspiring Linux Engineer, a tech writer on thedroidreview and tecmint, I also love to dance and you can find me on YouTube - be sure to subscribe.

1. Rodney Jackson says:

David Parker and also Okmesh have given me the answers I needed, thank you to them both. I wish I could remember how to give the correct answers the TICK symbol, but, Ahhh the joys of old age.
    Regards,
    Rod

2. Siladittya Manna says:

My installation freezes on “force uefi installation?” Window and is non-responsive. Whether I click “go back” or “continue” nothing happens. What should I do now?

I want to erase all the disk partitions and Install Ubuntu 16.04 LTS but I plan to install Windows 10 later.

3. Shan says:

Hi, I already have installed Ubuntu 14.04 on my PC. I have downloaded ISO of 16.04.1. I would like to install 16.04.1 without changing the existing partitions or loosing the existing data. Can somebody tell me the steps involved? I have slow or unreliable internet connection, so I would prefer installation/upgrade from the downloaded ISO (copied to DVD).

4. Abhinavkumar Valiyapurail says:

I currently run Windows 7 and need to install Ubuntu on my device. I had created a partition on Windows for the install and then got stuck on the screen (step 3b/3c) where you need I was asked to set root directories and stuff. I was new to Linux and didn’t want to mess with data on my HDD so I quit the installation there. Please help as I’d really like to work with Ubuntu

5. Jeffry R. Fisher says:

My mystery is the third-party software checkbox. I had no idea whether I needed it, but it would have required me to suffer through another battle against secure-boot (which my HW won’t disable short of turning off EFI).

Therefore I’m proceeding without 3rd party SW; I hope the laptop is still usable when I’m done. If there’s guidance to whether/when someone needs the 3rd party SW checkbox, please point to it.

6. Rodney Jackson says:

Hi, I am a noob. I am running Ubuntu 16.04.1 and sometimes get things drastically wrong. I decided to create a partition and run Linux from the partition, so when I mess up, I can still go to the original installation and copy things across to continue fiddling.

PROBLEM: I do not know how to get into my original copy of Linux. How do i boot into the original instead of the new partition?

7. David Parker says:

For Crossover Linux to install 32 bit software, at least 3Mb virtual memory is required. When an entire 1 Tb HD is default formatted to use LVM, Crossover posts the error message “At least 3 Mb virtual memory is required”.
    How should 16.10 be installed to provide sufficient virtual memory for Crossover?

8. sanjay says:

Hi i have a dell inspiration 3543 with windows 10 installation but now i install the Ubuntu 16.04 in same laptop with follow above step and i successfully install Ubuntu but now when restart the laptop by default windows 10 is start i don’t got any option dual operation, But when i press f12 key at that time i got the one option which is windows boot manager when i select this option windows 10 is star, So my question is how i am get the dual boot option kindly help me with same issue

• Omkesh says:

You may need to use EasyUEFI. Simply select create a new boot entry and it will automatically select the EFI partition. There should be a grub.cfg file there. Select this and give it a name and save it. Next time you go into your Uefi menu you should see a grub option which should let you boot Ubuntu.