This article shows you simple steps to upgrade from Linux Mint 13 (Maya) to Linux Mint 14 (Nadia) with apt-get method using it’s own package repositories. Please note before heading up for up-gradation process is not recommended as this may stop responding your system. Linux Mint Team recommends to upgrade version with Live-CD or fresh installation. Kindly take backup before following below steps. However, we have successfully upgraded from our Linux Mint 13 to 14 and it’s working fine without any issues.
Those who are looking for a fresh instillation of Linux Mint 14 (Nadia) with Live CD/DVD may visit.
You may also like to visit Step by Step installation guide of Linux Mint 13 (Maya) at.
Warning :: Take your important data backup before proceeding.
Please visit a link to follow recommended way of upgrading steps at: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2
Upgrading Linux Mint 13 to Linux Mint 14
1. Right click on desktop area and click Open in Terminal Or you may open through Menu >> Applications >> Accessories >> Terminal.
2. Open file with nano editor and from command prompt type command as ‘sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list’. Take backup of file before doing any changes to this file. Replace ‘maya‘ with ‘nadia‘ and ‘precise‘ with ‘quantal‘. Below screen prints shows you before changes and after changes.
Before doing any changes in file
After doing changes in file
3. After making changes to file, run the ‘sudo apt-get update‘ command to Update the system package database.
4. Next, do the distribution package update with command ‘sudo apt-get dist-upgrade‘ and afterwards run ‘sudo apt-get upgrade‘ command to verify all packages are up-to-date.
5. Run ‘sudo reboot‘ command to reboot after packages up-gradation. You’ll see Linux Mint 14 welcome screen. Select your desktop of your choice. Don’t select Run Xclient script, this will give you blank screen after login.
6. You may verify version from terminal by running ‘sudo cat /etc/issue‘.
7. Linux Mint 14 Desktop screen.