Upgrade Ubuntu 13.10 (Saucy Salamander) to Ubuntu 14.04 (Trusty Tahr)

Kuldeep Sharma

Currently, Working in Middleware(Jboss/Apache Tomcat) And POSIX related technologies. Having more than 5 years of experience and love to do R&D on different open source tools/technologies.

1. Kuldeep says:

Hi Aniket,

Are you asking about upgrade process from 13.10 to 14.04 or about the fresh installation?

For Upgrade, it all depends on your internet speed :). If you have high speed internet, then it will take minimum 30 min or more than that. For fresh installation, all will take around 30 min.

Thanks!
    Kuldeep

2. Aniket s says:

Kuldip bhai I m a bit new @ using Linux so during the system config the cursor stopped so mah ques is he long will it take in general to get installed in a new laptop???

3. Botch says:

I did the update from 13.10 to 14.04 yesterday on my moms computer…however I did it all through terminal, none of it went through a pop up screen. The download displayed everything as if everything was running smooth through the terminal window. Then it asked me to reboot (yn) to which I hit y then enter. NOW… it boots to the login screen, sits for about 5 to 7 seconds, then the screen scrambles rendering the machine useless. Is there anyway to revert to the previous version of Ubuntu at all or do I have to reimage the machine again?

4. Giuseppe says:

Hi Kuldeep,
    thanks for the help, but unfortunately it didn’t work.

Cheers,
    Giuseppe

5. Kuldeep says:

I think there may be some issue with your source.list file or with the server from which it is fetching updates.

Let us try once more :).
    Please take backup of your source.list and generate new one from http://repogen.simplylinux.ch/index.php.

Hope this may help :).

Thanks!
    Kuldeep

6. Giuseppe says:

Hi Kuldeep,
    thanks for your help,
    I get this error after I ran apt-get update

W: Failed to fetch bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/it.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_saucy-updates_main_binary-amd64_Packages Hash Sum mismatch

W: Failed to fetch bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/it.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_saucy-updates_universe_binary-amd64_Packages Hash Sum mismatch

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

7. Kuldeep says:

Try below steps and check if it help..

cd /var/lib/apt
    sudo mv lists lists.old
    sudo mkdir -p lists/partial
    sudo apt-get update

This will rebuild the cache.

Thanks!
    Kuldeep

8. Giuseppe says:

Fixed the installer, but now I get this error:

W:Failed to fetch bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/it.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-updates_main_binary-amd64_Packages Hash Sum mismatch
    , W:Failed to fetch bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/it.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-updates_universe_binary-amd64_Packages Hash Sum mismatch
    , E:Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

9. Giuseppe says:

Hi Kuldeep,
    it was clear since the beginning that there was a library conflict, but it is pretty tough to fix it.
    I am wondering why it is so complicate and contorted to update Ubuntu…

Cheers,
    Giuseppe

10. Giuseppe says:

Well, when I run update-manager -d I get this error:

/usr/bin/python3: symbol lookup error: /usr/bin/python3: undefined symbol: XML_SetHashSalt

Thanks