XFCE is lightweight Desktop Environment for Unix-like Operating System. it’s meant for low resources system. In Linux Mint 13, there was Xfce Desktop in addition to ‘Mate‘ and ‘Cinnamon ‘ and the same is not available in Linux Mint 14. This short guide shows you how to install Xfce Desktop environment in Linux Mint 14.
Those who are looking for Linux Mint 14 installation guide with MATE Desktop, please check out the following article.
Installation of XFCE Desktop in Linux Mint 14
1. Open Synaptic Package Manager (Menu >> Administration >> Synaptic Package Manager).
2. Type your password.
3. Search xfce4 and Mark for Installation in the Menu.
4. Accept dependencies and click apply the changes.
5. Required packages are being downloaded.
6. Installing packages.
7. Changes applied click on close.
8. Logout from current desktop.
9. Linux Mint Login Screen.
10. Click on Session and choose XFCE Session and Login with user credential.
11. Later on you will be asked if you want Xfce for current session or make it default Desktop.
12. Here is how Xfce Desktop looks like.
How to Remove XFCE from Linux Mint 14
If in case you didn’t like xfce desktop and want to remove it completely, then use the following command.
$ sudo apt-get autoremove xubuntu-desktop