Install KDE Plasma 5.6 in Ubuntu 16.04/Linux Mint 18, Fedora 23/24 and OpenSUSE 13.2
KDE is a well-known desktop environment for the Unix-Like systems designed for users who wants to have a nice desktop environment for their machines, It is one of the most used desktop interfaces out there.
In the past few years, a lot of work has been geared towards improving KDE desktop, with the latest stable release KDE Plasma 5.6 desktop series coming with some amazing features and bringing many improvements to the original task manager, KRunner, including Wayland support which came around in Plasma 5.5 and activities as well, plus a more refined look and feel.
KDE Plasma 5 Features
There is a lot of new features in KDE Plasma 5, here’s a list of the most important new features.
- KDE 5 applications were rewritten using Qt 5; the next generation of the famous Qt library to design graphical interfaces, that means that KDE 5 apps will be faster than KDE 4 beside a better usage of GPU from KDE 5 applications.
- Completely new look for KDE 5 Plasma, with the new slicker plasma theme, KDE 5 Plasma is much more beautiful than KDE 4.x with the new flat design, beside the nice look, the “slicker” theme is lighter than the default theme for KDE.
- The Start menu for KDE 5 Plasma has been redesigned and notifications area has also been redesigned, less popup windows providing a better user experience to access the notifications.
- The lockscreen window is also redesigned with a better login interface.
- Smoother performance, KDE 5 Plasma applications are rendered up on the top of the OpenGL scenegraph which means that KDE 5 programs has the priority when being rendered beside other process.
- Hardware-acceleration migration is now complete, this means that Plasma 5 rendering will be faster now because of the fully-usage for the GPU.
- A nice set of new wallpapers, will look perfectly on the default theme.
- Many other features which you will explore by your own.
Here are some official videos which shows the most important changes:
Watch Plasma 5.6 in Action
Installation of KDE Plasma 5.6 in Linux
First of all, you have to know that this is the sixth update to Plasma 5, versioned 5.6, which was released on 05 July 2016 with many new feature enhancements and new modules to complete the desktop experience.
Anyway, if you want to install Plasma 5.6 on Ubuntu/Kubuntu 16.04 and Linux Mint 18, you have to use Kubuntu Backports PPA repository on the top of existing installations.
Install KDE Plasma On Ubuntu/Kubuntu 16.04 and Linux Mint 18
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports
After running above command, it will ask you to enter your password and hit Enter key to continue to add Kubuntu Backports PPA repository on your system.
After adding PPA, run the following commands to update your existing package database.
# sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Now install KDE Plasma 5.6 using following one single command in your system.
$ sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
Please note during installation, it will ask you to configure sddm login manager, click OK and select the ‘lightdm’ login manager as default.
Once the installation process is completed, make sure to restart your system and select Plasma Desktop and enter password to login into KDE Plasma 5.6 desktop environment.
Install KDE Plasma on Debian
$ sudo tasksel install kde-desktop
Install KDE Plasma On OpenSUSE 13.1/13.2
For OpenSUSE 13.1/13.2, latest version of KDE Plasma available from repository for your system using these commands as a root.
$ sudo zypper in -t pattern kde kde_plasma
Install KDE Plasma On Fedora 23-24
For Fedora systems, new KDE plasma updates are available from the default repositories, make sure to keep your Fedora installation up-to-date, in order to install most recent version of KDE Plasma as shown.
# dnf install @kde-desktop
Install KDE Plasma On RHEL/CentOS 7
# yum groupinstall "KDE Plasma Workspaces"
For Arch Linux, KDE 5.6 packages are available to download from the official extra repository, activate it and enjoy.
KDE Plasma 5.6 Screenshot Tour
I hope that everything has worked fine, you can now enjoy KDE Plasma 5.6 on your desktop. In case of any queries or additional information you want to provide to us, you can use the comment section below to give us a feedback.
Have you tested KDE Plasma 5 on your Linux system? How did you find it?. Please post your thoughts about KDE desktop using our comment section below.