How to Install and Configure pfSense 2.1.5 (Firewall/Router) for Your Home/Office Network
18. Once subpartitions has been created, you will see the installation process..
19. At last for installing the kernel, you can choose from the options as non-vga or symetmetric multiprocessing kernel. Here I’m going to choose non-vga and keyboard less.
20. After kernel has been installed, reboot the machine and configure the networking and more in next step as follows.
21. After rebooting, you will get the below screen with available interfaces to configure the network.
The first option is presented as VLAN’s, generally VLAN’s are not needed, they are needed for advance networking, simply here say No.
There are two interface’s em0 and em1, I have planned to assign em0 as WAN our external interface and em1 as LAN which for internal interface with firewall/NAT features enabled.
22. I don’t need a optional interface name, so just continue by pressing Return Key. It will ask for the confirmation Yes/No proceed with Y and press enter to continue.
23. After setting up interfaces, you will get the pfsense menu as show below.
- WAN IP address will be assigned from DHCP. If you need we can assign a static IP.
- LAN IP address will be default as 192.168.1.1, if you want to change choose option 2 and set interfaces IP address.
First let me define a Static IP, subnet mask in Bit count and gateway for the WAN and LAN. Disable the DHCP and continue by choosing Y.
24. Then for LAN interface, If we need DHCP for local area network from pfsense we can assign a range of address from pfsense. I have chosen 192.168.0.15 as my pfsense LAN address and for client machine’s I need to assign a IP address from DHCP in the range of 192.168.0.16 – 192.168.0.25.
25. After all the above settings are performed, it will prompt you a link to access pfSense webconfigurator interface to configure further steps.