Linux Mint 15 Codename ‘Olivia’ Xfce Edition is released with the exciting features stated below. Xfce is a lightweight desktop environment aiming to be fast instead of low system resources. In this edition, Xfce 4.10 desktop, all the improvement with latest packages are included. In this post we’ll see step by step installation and Update of packages post installation.
New Features of Linux Mint 15 Xfce Edition
- Xfce 4.10
- Whisker Menu
- Software Sources
- Driver Manager
- Software Manager
- System Improvements
- Supports for Upstream components
- Artwork Improvements
Please go through the Release Notes to know important info or known issues before installation of this edition.
Those who are looking for a MATE Desktop installation, they can follow the Linux Mint 15 MATE Installation Guide.
Direct Download of Linux Mint 15 Xfce Edition
Please use following links to download XFCE Desktop .ISO format for 32-bit & 64-bit.
Installation of Linux Mint 15 Xfce Edition
1. Boot Computer with Live media or ISO.
2. Booting with installation media.
3. It will directly boot into the live environment from where we can either test Linux Mint 15 or install it on Hard Drive. To install double click on ‘Install Linux Mint’:
4. Welcome, Select Language and click on ‘Continue’.
5. Preparing to install Linux Mint, click on ‘Continue’.
6. Installation type, choose ‘Something Else’ if you want to customize partition by your own. Two options ‘Encrypt the new Linux Mint installation for security’ and ‘Use LVM with the new Linux Mint installation’ included in Linux Mint Version 15.
Choose appropriate options and click on ‘Install Now’. It’s recommended to use ‘Erase disk and install Linux Mint’ would be a good choice for new entrants in Linux. Here, we have chosen ‘Something else’.
7. Installation type, click on ‘New partition table’ for manually partition filesystems.
8. Installation type, click on ‘Continue’ to create empty partition table.
9. Installation type, Create partition, selecting ‘Size‘, ‘Type for the new partition‘, ‘Location for the new partition‘, ‘Mount point‘, etc. and click on ‘Ok’.
10. Installation type, selecting ‘Mount point‘ click ‘Ok’ once selected the correct mount point.
11. Installation type, Summary of partitions. Here, we have created ‘/boot‘, ‘swap‘, and ‘/‘ partitions. It’s recommended to give 200MB for ‘/boot‘ partition.
12. Regional Settings, click on ‘Continue’.
13. Choose Keyboard layout, click on ‘Continue’.
14. Type user details like name, desired username and password to login post installation, click on ‘Continue’.
15. Linux Mint 15 Xfce Edition is getting installed, Files are getting copied & installing on system. Relax and sit back…!!! Have a sip of coffee as this may take several minutes depending your system configuration and internet speed.
16. Linux Mint 15 Xfce Edition installation completed. Eject boot media and reboot system, click on ‘Restart now’.
17. A brand new HTML greeter, login with username and password created during installation, click on ‘Ok’.
18. Linux Mint 15 Xfce Edition base system is ready. This is end of the installation.
18. Linux Mint 15 Xfce Edition Desktop.
19. Post installation it’s recommended to check for updates and install it using Update Manager. Start it from Menu >> System >> Update Manager from Desktop.
20. Provide password for Update Manager.
21. The Update Manager checks for updates. Click on Install Updates to install them.
22. The Update Manager downloading and installing packages.
23. Reboot your system to make the changes effective.
24. System is up to date.
Latest posts by Narad Shrestha (see all)
- CentOS 6.5 Released – Installation Guide with Screenshots - December 5, 2013
- Linux Mint 16 “Petra” Released – Installation Guide with Screenshots & Features - December 3, 2013
- OpenSUSE 13.1 Released – Desktop Installtion Guide with Screenshots, Tour & Review - November 25, 2013
Linux Services & Free WordPress Setup
Our post is simply ‘DIY’ aka ‘Do It Yourself, still you may find difficulties and want us to help you out. We offer wide range of Linux and Web Hosting Solutions at fair minimum rates. Please submit your orders by Clicking Here.