Ubuntu 14.04 Server Installation Guide and Setup LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP)

Matei Cezar

I'am a computer addicted guy, a fan of open source and linux based system software, have about 4 years experience with Linux distributions desktop, servers and bash scripting.

1. Peter says:

I just used the LAMP part of this tutorial, because I am using Zentyal 4 community edition, which pretty much covers initial installation and configuration of Ubuntu server 14.04 in an idiotproof way, but this worked out of the box for me, thanks a lot!

2. Reymund Tampus says:

thanks for this wonderful guide . i have completed my ubuntu server 14.1 . I am newbie to linux…

3. Dustin Silva says:

Thanks for the screenshots!!

4. Rod says:

Followed instructions to the letter – after step 21 – removed CD and restarted. Monitor shows not optimal mode and no display. tried 3 other monitors with basic same result – text maybe slightly different but no display????

found threads about booting into recovery mode – hold shft key down, down arrow and enter, etc. – nothing works.

14.04 server.

suggestions?

5. Matei Cezar says:

@Jeffrey: Does the GRUB menu appear? Does your system uses UEFI instead of BIOS? Do you get any errors at all?

6. Jeffrey says:

Sir i am having a problem with the installation, after the installation, the operating system wont boot. Just blank screen. I used a flash drive as an installation media. Do you have any idea what is the problem?

• Little John says:

Jeffrey,
      I had the same problem. Be aware that not all USB stick are created equal. I spent three days banging my head against the wall because I couldn’t get Ubuntu 14.04 server to install the boot loader correctly. It turned out to be the PNY 16GB USB stick. I tried a cheap 8GB stick I had laying around and it worked. Three days of head banging can sure take out a lot of sheet rock ;)
      Little John

• Murali says:

If the Ubuntu installation is successful, restart the computer and hold down SHIFT key while booting(initial boot screen).This will open Ubuntu boot menu. Select Advanced boot options and check for any system errors

7. Justin says:

your formatting hacked up the metacharacters in my patch output, ah well.

8. Justin says:

Well, I just wanted to point out one thing: in 14.04, apparently, you can’t call manually to ‘/etc/init.d/script_name ‘, you must use the ‘service script_name ‘ excepting that of course, you CAN override the new default if you know where to look. following is an example of the over-ride in patch format (kind of)

[email protected]:~/utils/linux# /etc/init.d/ssh status
    [email protected]:~/utils/linux# patch /lib/lsb/init-functions ./init-functions.patch
    patching file /lib/lsb/init-functions
    [email protected]:~/utils/linux# /etc/init.d/ssh status
    * sshd is running
    [email protected]:~/utils/linux# cat init-functions.patch
    267c267,268
    return 1
    > #custom edit- re-enables manually calling /etc/init.d/script_name again.
    [email protected]:~/utils/linux#

9. william derington says:

hello i am getting an error on the command sudo apt-key adv –keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com –recv-keys key_hash could someone tell me why and how to fix it

10. Stain says:

Thank you for this… looking forward on your post… I’m just a newbie in ubuntu, hoping for help in the future..