SMPlayer is an open source and free cross platform multi media player for Linux and Windows was released under the GPL license. It’s playback engine was designed using award winning MPlayer as it capable of playing almost all audio and video formats like avi, mkv, wmv, mp4, mpeg etc. It uses own codecs, so you don’t need to download and install additional codecs.
The most interesting features of SMPlayer is it stores all the settings of recently played files. Let’s say you suppose to watch the movie but you have to leave… don’t worry, when you open that movie, it will start playing at the same point where you left it with same volume, audio track, subtitles and so on.
SMPlayer 0.8 Features
- Complete preferences dialog to change colors, key shortcuts and fonts of the subtitles, and many more.
- Supports Multiple speed playback. You can play video at 2X, 4X and even in slow motion.
- Delay adjustments for Audio and Video subtitles and allows you to sync audio and subtitles.
- Provided search function to search and download subtitles from opensubtitles.org.
- Included YouTube browser to download and play videos online.
- Currently supports more than 30 languages, including Italian, Spanish, French, Russian, German, Chinese, Japanese.
- Options to change style and icon set of the interface.
The complete change log and feature set of SMPlayer 0.8 can be found at http://smplayer.sourceforge.net/.
Installation of SMPlayer 0.8 Media Player
Press CTRL + ALT + T to open terminal and then add a PPA for SMPlayer on Ubuntu 12.10/12.04/11.10/11.04/10.10/10.04, Xubuntu 12.10 and Linux Mint 13.
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:rvm/smplayer
Next, update the system by running following command in the terminal.
$ sudo apt-get update
Finally, install the SMPlayer, SMTube and Themes by using following command in the terminal.
$ sudo apt-get install smplayer smtube smplayer-themes
Starting SMPlayer 0.8 Media Player
Start the SMPlayer 0.8 Media Player by executing following command on the terminal.
Running SMPlayer 0.8 Media Player on Ubuntu 12.10
Running SMPlayer 0.8 Media Player on Xubuntu 12.10
Running SMPlayer 0.8 Media Player on Linux Mint 13
That’s All, stat playing SMPlayer on your system. Please share this article with your friends.