Ubuntu has arrived with it’s 13.10 version code-named “Saucy Salamander” along with it’s derivatives i.e Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Edubuntu, Kubuntu etc. The Ubuntu 13.10 release will be benefited from latest Kernel 3.11 which has improved performance and stability. The 13.10 included latest OpenStack Havana for Cloud users and Ubuntu Juju service.
The noticeable change from 13.04 to 13.10 is the inclusion of Smart Scopes. The Smart Scopes suggest based on search terms, location and history, across local and network drives or online locations.
Ubuntu 13.10 Features
There are some noticeable changes which are highlighted below.
- Kernel 3.11.x stable version which supports more devices, better power management and performance.
- GNOME 3.8 based on Unity
- Firefox 24 default web browser
- LibreOffice 4.12 for office suite
- Thunderbird 24 for E-mail client
- GIMP 2.8.6 for photo editing
- Rhythmbox 2.99 default music player
- Newly introduced Smart Scopes
Download Ubuntu 13.10 ISO images
Use following download links to get the latest Ubuntu 13.10.
Here, we’ll follow simple steps to install newly released Ubuntu 13.10 “Saucy Salamander” Desktop version.
Installation of Ubuntu 13.10 Desktop
1. Boot your system with Ubuntu 13.10 Installation Live CD/DVD or ISO.
2. You may visit selecting ‘Try Ubuntu‘ else Select ‘Install Ubuntu‘ to install on computer.
3. Prepare to install Ubuntu. Select both the options if you have internet connectivity in your system. (Keep system up to date during installation.)
4. Installation type. Select ‘Erase disk and install Ubuntu‘ as we don’t have other Operating system installed. You can select “Use LVM with the new Ubuntu installation” this will setup Logical Volume Management. Or Installation type “Something Else” to create partitions manually. Please note these options are for advanced users.
5. Select your location.
6. Select your Keyboard layout.
7. Create user login credentials
8. Ubuntu One login registration. Ubuntu One is cloud service offered by Ubuntu. You can register later also.
9. Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy installation started… Sit back and Relax, it may take several minutes.
10. That’s it. Installation Completed. Eject CD/DVD and restart system.
11. Login screen.
12. Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Desktop. Enjoy exploring Ubuntu 13.10
For other Ubuntu derivatives, you’ll find download links below (some are not yet available for download!).
Latest posts by Narad Shrestha (see all)
Linux Services & Free WordPress Setup
Our post is simply ‘DIY’ aka ‘Do It Yourself, still you may find difficulties and want us to help you out. We offer wide range of Linux and Web Hosting Solutions at fair minimum rates. Please submit your orders by Clicking Here.