Here we are reviewing Manjaro Linux, the latest in the list. We would be covering Features, Installation, Updation, look and feel and lot more.
What is Manjaro
Manjaro Gnu/Linux is a Unix Like Operating System which is Arch Linux Based. This desktop oriented Distribution has desktop environment Xfce by default and any other desktop environment can be installed and configured later.
Features of Manjaro GNU/Linux
- Package Manager – Pacman for command Line
- Package Manager Pamac for GUI
- Compatible with Arch Repository
- Usages 3 sets of Repository – The Unstable, The Stable and the Testing.
- Dedicated Software repositories
- Fully tested and stable software packages
- GUI Installer besides Command Line Installer (CLI)
- Advanced and Robust Hardware Detection (Manjaro HardWare Detection, MHWD)
- Rich Multimedia Support
- Multiple Kernel Support
- Supports Rolling Release Model, which means Upgradation is smooth and Simple and you don’t need to reinstall the whole System after every major Release.
- Supported Desktop Environment – GNOME , LXDE , MATE , KDE , Cinnamon , OpenBox, XFCE and Enlightenment
- Available for Architecture x86 as well as x86_64
Minimum System Requirements
- 1 GB RAM
- 30 GB HDD
- 1 GHz Processor
- Working Internet Connection
- Latest Graphics card and Monitor to utilize system resource to the fullest.
Download Manjaro ISO Images
Get a copy of Manjaro, suitable for your architecture from the below links.
I’ve used the following operating system to test the Majaro Linux on Virtualbox.
- Operating System: Debian 7.4
- Architecture: x86
- Virtualbox 4.1.18
Installation of Manjaro 0.8.9 with Screenshots
with eager to test this new distro, I setup the environment, Source disk file Location etc on virtualbox. The installation went very smooth without any single glitch and it was as simple as installing any other distribution. Here it goes.
1. The very first, welcome window on Booting
2. Boot Selection Menu.
3. Kernel Loading Window.
4. Processes Being Started.
5. The Desktop First View in Live Mode.
6. Installing Manjaro from Live Mode in GUI.
7. Location Setting Window.
8.System Checking and Confirming Window.
9. Setting your Geographical Location.
10. Selecting Keyboard Layout.
11. Installation Type configuration and setting – Encrypted Installation / LVM / Home directory Setting.
12. Final call before Installation.
13. Setting up Username, Password and Computer Name, Visible to Others.
14. Extracting and Installing Packages. This may take time based on Your System Configuration and Resource.
15. Finished Installation. Reboot!.
16. Boot Prompt After successful Installation of Manjaro.
17. The User Log-in Window, Seems Lucid to Eyes.
18. The Initial Manjaro Desktop, without any modification or change of theme and wallpaper.
Install Manjaro from Bootable USB
Making USB Mass Storage boot-able with Manjaro, either to run in Live mode to Install later from there. We already have written an article on how to make USB bootable at.
Creating bootable USB device is very easy, just put Source ISO location and Destination USB Disk location. I cross checked my Destination USB Disk, just to make sure I am not over writing any other USB Storage Disk which remains connected to my Debian Server all the Time.
After making bootable pendrive which barely took 10 minutes, I booted on unused PC in my office, and manjaro run in Live mode, without a single issue.
Taking a Tour to Manjaro
With Firefox 27.0.1 and Adobe Flash Player Installed by default running a Youtube Video was nothing more than a cake walk.
VLC Streaming Video smoothly.
Audio Files Being played, without the need of any codes or any extra package.
No need of any extra office suite or packages, LibreOffice is already Installed.
Inbuilt Firewall, to harden the System.
Extra Application like Bulk Rename makes this New OS very useful.
Good Support for Developers, with several inbuilt developing Applications.
Settings – Customize Your Desktop
The digital distribution, digital rights management, communication platforms for multiplayer developed by Valve Corporation. Steam is needed to play source Engine games Viz., Counter Strike. Steam is available for Manjaro, all you need to do is to create an account.
Other Notable Application, already Installed.
- 7-Zip File Manager
- Clipman – Clipboard Manager
- Orange Globaltime – Clocks from all over the world
- Xfburn – Cd/DVD Burning Application
- Document Viewer
- Hexchat – Chat Application
- Pidgin – Chatting Application over IM
- Thunderbird – Mail and News Reader
Installing an Application say bluefish using package manager – pacman
Refresh The package Database and upgrade the whole System.
I really enjoyed this tour to Manjaro. Everything seems to work. I didn’t felt for a second that I am New to this Distribution. The time of booting into Live mode and Installation as well as response time is too short, which surely is a plus Point.
Not over rating but this distro is as much simple that even a newbie finds it comfortable. But this does not means it is not for Advanced and Experienced users. There is something for everyone. Moreover the distro seems very promising.
The arch package manager may be trouble for some of the users but certainly this wont be an issue. You must give it a try and mind me you wont regret. Share with us Your experience with this new distro.
That’s all for now. I’ll be here again with another interesting article. Till then stay tuned and connected to tecmint.
Latest posts by Avishek Kumar (see all)
- 5 Reasons Why I Hate GNU/Linux – Do You Hate (Love) Linux? - September 5, 2014
- The Story Behind ‘init’ and ‘systemd’: Why ‘init’ Needed to be Replaced with ‘systemd’ in Linux - September 3, 2014
- DNF – The Next Generation Package Management Utility for RPM Based Distributions - August 26, 2014
Linux Services & Free WordPress Setup
Our post is simply ‘DIY’ aka ‘Do It Yourself, still you may find difficulties and want us to help you out. We offer wide range of Linux and Web Hosting Solutions at fair minimum rates. Please submit your orders by Clicking Here.