Install NVIDIA Drivers in RHEL/CentOS/Fedora and Debian/Ubuntu/Linux Mint

1. Marcelo Dias de Moura says:

Hello,

Thanks for the tips. The driver installation nvidia quadro k2000 worked perfectly on CentOS 6.5. However, the startup and shutdown were the black screen mode, ie, no longer shows the logo CentOS Loading.

I tried to reactivate the file /boot/initramfs-$(uname-r).img.bak, but he claims he does not think the nouveau.

What should I do?

Thanks in advance for your attention.
    Marcelo.

2. jan johnson says:

I went the ElRepo direction for Cent OS 6.5, and it worked… sort of. My remaining issue is that the evaluation desktop I’m using has an older (6-8 yrs) Samsung LCD 26″ display, but the NVIDIA Config Wizard is sensing it as a 40″ display, so no matter what resolution I set it to, I cannot see the entire screen.

Has anyone seen this? And if so, do you have a workaround that you’d like to share?

Thanks.

3. mat says:

FEDORA 20 error after X -configure. “… number of created screens does not match number of detected devices”. Do you know how to fix it? i am pretty new in linux world, so please understand my little knowledge about fedora

4. atreyu64 says:

Very useful, thanks a lot, works like a charm on RHEL 6.5 !

5. Raye says:

I completely broke my install of Fedora 20 between rebooting and going into command mode. All I get is a blank screen. I can’t even get into a different run level using Grub2. Oh well. At least it was a [mostly] fresh install.

6. Paul says:

I followed the instructions for a Debian Wheezy installation, except that I did the whole thing from the console, as I could never get x to start using nouveau. I am using an itx board but with a pcie video card (to run full hd on a mythtv installation). lspci finds the card, and only the card. In console mode the nouveau driver must be successfully blacklisted because it does not appear in lsmod, but nvidea does. So I guess in console I am using the nvidea driver. However X -configure fails, failing to write a screen into the configuration, so of course startx fails with the ‘no screen found error’

• Paul says:

I have now got to the stage of getting the Nvidia driver into the conf file. But now it says input/output error on /dev/nvidia0 when I try to launch x

7. jerk001 says:

using CentOS, followed all the steps, logged in as root but it still gives me a permission denied error.

• jerk001 says:

i used chmod to give it permission but after that it still gave me errors and failed to install the driver

• jerk001 says:

sorry abou the staggered replies, iḿ just a day old using linux and it has been quite overwhelming, i was able to log into root but then it asked me to use the telinit 3 user space, after that i still contunied to get errors.

the error i seem to be getting is a Noueau driver error, but i thought i had blacklisted that.

here is the log file entry

nvidia-installer log file ‘/var/log/nvidia-installer.log’
        creation time: Tue Jan 7 00:32:14 2014
        installer version: 331.20

PATH: /usr/lib64/qt-3.3/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/root/bin

nvidia-installer command line:
        ./nvidia-installer

Using: nvidia-installer ncurses user interface
        -> Tagging shared libraries with chcon -t textrel_shlib_t.
        -> License accepted.
        -> Installing NVIDIA driver version 331.20.
        ERROR: The Nouveau kernel driver is currently in use by your system. This driver is incompatible with the NVIDIA driver, and must be disabled before proceeding. Please consult the NVIDIA driver README and your Linux distribution’s documentation for details on how to correctly disable the Nouveau kernel driver.
        WARNING: One or more modprobe configuration files to disable Nouveau are already present at: /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-installer-disable-nouveau.conf. Please be sure you have rebooted your system since these files were written. If you have rebooted, then Nouveau may be enabled for other reasons, such as being included in the system initial ramdisk or in your X configuration file. Please consult the NVIDIA driver README and your Linux distribution’s documentation for details on how to correctly disable the Nouveau kernel driver.
        ERROR: Installation has failed. Please see the file ‘/var/log/nvidia-installer.log’ for details. You may find suggestions on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux driver download page at http://www.nvidia.com.

thanx again

• Mahtab says:

here is a link that can fix your problem. I had same issue but it helped so much.

8. Moby says:

Hi!
    I have Debian 7 KDE (wheezy) and I’ve followed your guide upto killing X server (I did [code]# service kdm stop [/code]). After that my screen went black and the system rebooted. Since I have Debian in dual booting with Win7, when I picked Debian from GRUB’s menu, I was taken to the black-background command line instead of the typical Debian kde desktop. I logged in with username and password, but don’t know how to proceed from there on. I’ve pressed Ctrl+Alt+(F1 to F12) but nothing special happened.

Can you tell me what to do after the command-line-style login? I don’t want to re-install Debian as Scott Borisch (above) had to do.

• Avishek Kumar says:

Once You logged onto Shell from command line, follow the above tutorial as

# X -configure
      # cp /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
      # startx

It should work for you. Execute above command as root.

• Moby says:

Yes, I did that and followed the rest of your procedure. It works perfectly (so far). Thank you for writing this guide for all of us newbies!

9. Ivan Tuma says:

Avishek – I’m new to the Debian distro …

This seems very straight forward and I appreciate you taking the time to share this with the group – however before I attempt to make the Quadro 600 work properly with my Debian 6 Squeeze, I have a couple of questions…

Since I’m running Squeeze and not Wheezy … should the line in my /etc/apt/sources.list file contain “squeeze” rather than wheezy like in my example below? Or are we specifically sourcing the drivers from the wheezy repository for this purpose?

My sources.list file… see the last line for what I WANT to try…

deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib
    deb-src http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib
    deb [arch=amd64,i386] http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free
    deb [arch=amd64,i386] http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main contrib
    deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main contrib
    ###################
    deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free
    ###################

Thanks … I’ll hold off until I hear a response … unfortunately I can’t afford to rebuild this system if this fails :-( but on the other hand, having a second monitor is an indispensable feature that may be worth the gamble.

-IT

• Moby says:

I’m not a Linux expert but I think that’s right – you should type “squeeze” instead of “wheezy”

• Avishek Kumar says:

@ Ivan Tuma,
      since you are using squeeze, it is normal to have squeeze software sources in /etc/apt/sources.list.
      Before proceeding backup your /etx/X11/xorg.conf, so that in case u brake X, you can restore.

If you face any problem, you can contact me here.
      Hope it Helps

• Ivan Tuma says:

Thanks – unfortunately there is something broken in my whole Xsession setup. My system is a “realized” VM (using P2V). I don;’t know how this effected my xsession config – but when I try running the X -configure, I get all kinds of error stating that the number of displays does not match. Unfortunately I didn’t capture the errors. It took me a couple of hours to back out of the changes (I uninstalled the Nvidia drivers).

I would be perferctly content using the Nouveau driver … I don’t need 3D accelleration since my system is only being used to write code and look at pdf files. but even that one requires one to build a new xorg.conf file, and I get the same errors with mismatching number of displays.

These instructions should allow you to configure nouveau for dual monitors (for those who cant make Nvidia work)…

Once I find time to go through this again, I’ll post my results…

10. Scott Borisch says:

When I run:

service gdm3 stop

I get a completely black screen, with a cursor. which is NOT a prompt.
    That is, if I type, say, ls, and hit return, I get nothing but a new line.

This black screen issue seems to be mentioned here:

After rebooting, X windows was dead, and even using a recovery disk and reverting
    /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    to the original did not fix the problem.
    I had to completely re install Debian Wheezy.
    Has anyone else seen this issue?

– Scott

• Avishek Kumar says:

@ scott Borisch, if u get blank screen after killing X session.
      Goto console Ctrl+Alt+F1 ….. F6. Login, and then perform installation of NVIDIA driver as stated above. You may need to reconfigure your X session, if u finds it difficult u can send me ssh login details @ [email protected].