How to Extend/Reduce LVM’s (Logical Volume Management) in Linux – Part II

Babin Lonston

I'm Working as a System Administrator for last 10 year's with 4 years experience with Linux Distributions, fall in love with text based operating systems.

1. Michael says:

Hi Guys,

I need to increase disk space on a centos 7 but when I do fdisk -cu /dev/sda I get the menu with options. If I do only fdisk /dev/sda I get a warning that fdisk GPT support is current new.

Already added a new disk from the hypervisor to the virtual machine.

Used the same method as described in the article but for Ubuntu.

Any thoughts?

2. George Fisherman says:

Thank You, worked Perfectly on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.3

3. 6ril says:

resizefs give error about bad superblock.

I had to use xfs_growfs instead of resizefs.

4. krishna says:

I have 2 questions any one please give me a answer:

1. what is the difference between L and l (small) ?
    2. what is the difference between LVresize and LV extend ?

• Bobin Lonston says:

@Krishna,

1. what is the difference between L and l (small)?

L = Can be used while MB, GB or TB in size
      l = Can be used while resizing or reducing with Physical extent in size (PE), (The default extent size of a single PE is 4 MB).

2. what is the difference between LVresize and LV extent?

lvresize = Take an example resizing from 10 GB to 20 GB using existing PEs from the Volume group.
      lvextend = Only used while adding a new device (/dev/sdc or /dev/sdd or whatever ) to existing volume group.

Thanks & Regards,
      Bobin Lonston

5. Hans Linkels says:

I tried reducing the LV on a test system. Worked like breeze. To calculate the PE’s to remove I converted everything to real bytes. That is, PE size of 4MiB = 4 * 1024 * 1024. And the number of GB to remove was 1Gib = 1024 * 1024 * 2014 bytes.

After resizefs, the space needed by the file system is specified in 4kiB blocks, so 4096 bytes each. If you want to calculate accurately without losing a GB here and there AND you want to be sure not to reduce the LV beyond the size of the file system, I’d recommend this.

6. Spas says:

I think the command `resize2fs /dev/vg_tecmint_extra/tecmint_reduce_test 10GB` should be `resize2fs /dev/vg_tecmint_extra/tecmint_reduce_test 10G` –> 10GB produces: invalid new size.

7. Pratik says:

We can use lvextend and resize2fs same time with lvextend -r command.

From the man page:

-r|–resizefs – Resize underlying filesystem together with the LV using fsadm(8).

8. sagar says:

Thanks for sharing the article…Really helpful.

9. Amiya says:

Awesome article! Straight to the point.