Ubuntu 12.10 Server (Quantal Quetzal) Installation Guide with Screenshots
As promised in our earlier article on Ubuntu Desktop 12.10 Installation, we are going to see the installation of Ubuntu 12.10 (Quantal Quetzal) Server edition.
There are new features like Web Apps, Online Search, Dash previews, Easy Full-Disk Encryption (Enable during installation) etc. You may visit to know more about Ubuntu 12.10 features.
Download Ubuntu 12.10 Server DVD ISO’s
Ubuntu 12.10 has been released and you can download from here or follow below links.
Installation of Ubuntu 12.10 (Quantal Quetzal) Base System
1. Boot Computer with Ubuntu 12.10 Installation CD/DVD or ISO and choose language.
2. Select ‘Install Ubuntu Server‘.
3. Choose language for installation.
4. Select your location and press ENTER.
5. Configuration and detecting your keyboard.
6. Keyboard configuration.
7. Keyboard layout and configuration.
8. Detecting hardware and installation.
9. Enter hostname and press ‘Continue‘.
10. Enter your full name.
11. Enter username. (Don’t use admin user name as it is reserved by Ubuntu 12.10 and press continue.
12. Enter password for user this is required during login after installation.
13. Re-enter password.
14. I don’t require to encrypt home directory. So i select ‘NO‘ here.
15. Setting clock, detecting time zone and location.
16. Please verify location and time zone, detected correctly by installer, If setting ok click ‘YES‘ else ‘NO‘.
17. Disk Partitioning, I selected “Guided – use entire disk and set up LVM“. If you are know good enough then you may select ‘Manual‘ Partitioning and follow instructions.
18. Select Disk for partitioning and press ENTER.
19. You are being asked “Write the changes to disks and configure LVM? Press ‘YES ‘ if it’s ok for you.
20. Supply disk space to use for logical volume. You may leave some unused space so that you can later on expand or create new volumes which gives more flexibility.
21. Verify partitions and If you are ok Press ‘YES‘ to write the changes to disks.
22. New partitions are being created and formatting.
23. New partitions created and formatted, now system is getting installed.
24. Proxy configuration, you may leave empty and press ‘Continue‘ if it is not require for you.
25. Configuring APT (Advanced Packaging Tool).
26. Select update of system, we urge to keep ‘No Automatic Updates‘ which may have more control in terms of packages / updates selection.
27. Select packages as per your need and press ‘Continue‘.
28. Installing selected packages.
29. GRUB Boot Loader is getting installed.
30. Select install GRUB Boot Loader in MBR (Master Boot Record) Click ‘YES‘ to proceed.
31. Base system installation is completed, remove CD/DVD and click ‘Continue‘ to finish.
32. Finishing touch.
33. GRUB Boot Loader screen after installation is over.
34. Ubuntu 12.10 Login Screen, Login with user credential which was created during installation.
This is the end of Ubuntu 12.10 Linux Server Edition Installation. Share it and post comments using comment box below.