Which Career to Choose: Programmer Vs Administrator

The Science behind computer and computation has always attracted a mass of people from the career prospective. Jobs in computer technology are numerous ranging from hardware to software. In this article I will be discussing career as a Administrator as compared to career as a Developer (Programmer).

Programmer vs Administrator

Programmer vs Administrator

OK, I will tell the whole article from my point of view. About two years ago I used to think whether I should concentrate on Programming or Administration. I loved Developing and creating new things everyday so I make up mind to be a developer, then the very next question that came to my mind was which language should I go for.

Personally I liked C. Why C? because C was the first Programming Language. But from the market point of view, C was not in demand at all. So I thought to learn ASP.net, Java and Oracle. Even this learning process remained in my routine for a few weeks but soon I got disinterested in all the above said languages, C was my first love and no one forgets his/her first love.

It was time to move to the next semester where I was introduced to UNIX Operating system. I came to know that whole UNIX was written in C. Although they said UNIX was in our Syllabus but they taught Linux, as UNIX was neither free nor easily available.

I Got my way to C was there, the joy of creating new was there. Linux was something for which I could wake up daily and go to work happily.

Why should you choose programming from the career point of view?

1. Because you enjoy the sense of creativity.
  2. Because you work for yourself and don’t bother for interaction with peoples directly.
  3. Flexibility to work from office or home.

Why should not you choose Programming from the career point of view?

1. Less opportunity as a result of job outsourcing.
  2. Erratic hours
  3. Repetitive
  4. Sharp Deadlines
  5. Keep pace with changing frameworks and technology.

Why should you choose Administration from the career point of view?

1. Always something different
  2. New challenges
  3. Controlling and coordinating with number of professionals.

Why should not you choose Administration from career point of view?

1. Stressful working hours.
  2. Sometimes boring taking backups, restoring, fixing, installing, updating, scanning,etc.

A very famous quote in our world is:

A programmer gets famous when he does something good and an administrator if he does something bad.”

What point you should have in mind when choosing a particular career opportunity.

1. You should choose the option you are comfortable, for which you can wake every morning happily.
  2. You can make money in any field you have mastered and should not depend upon the current market trend.
  3. You should do what you love else love what you do.

Both System Administration and Developer as a job is highly sought after by professionals. Both will remain in demand forever. My personal recommendation is to listen what your heart says and not to take decision what other insist or what the current graph says.

You are one, you are different. No one can be you, ever. Your career is not only a source of income, it should be your passion, your desire, your dream.

With all these I am signing off today and will soon be back with an interesting article. Till then stay tuned. Come visiting Tecmint.com for any recent update in the FOSS world.

So what should you choose as a Programmer or Administrator? do, tell us know your choice in our Comment Section.

TecMint is the fastest growing and most trusted community site for any kind of Linux Articles, Guides and Books on the web. Millions of people visit TecMint! to search or browse the thousands of published articles available FREELY to all.

If you like what you are reading, please consider buying us a coffee ( or 2 ) as a token of appreciation.

Support Us

The Complete Linux System Administrator Bundle
Become an Ethical Hacker Bonus Bundle

1. Swati says:

Hello Sir,

I have completed my BE in computer and I am fresher. I have good knowledge in programming and as well in database, but i am confused. Which are the good certification courses like Java or DBA? and which is better option to start my career?

@Swati,

First of all congratulations for cracking BE computer. I see you already have good knowledge about programming and DBA, and every program have a backend that is database, so you already have both skills on your pocket, I suggest you to go for JAVA + DBA course for better career..

• swati says:

Thanks for the reply.
        but i have to choose between java programming or Database Admin.
        As being girl which is better for me?

@Swati,

As a girl, I suggest you to go for programming, because admin jobs always deals with complex tasks which involves lots of time and patience in setting up…

• Tomas says:

A friend of mine is a Unix admin, and his wife is an Oracle DBA. They say they couldn’t do each other’s work. Being a sysadmin requires one to know a lot of things (operating systems, applications, networking, security etc). Basically, a good sysadmin has to have a broad level of experiences.

Being a DBA is a bit simpler from that point of view, as your skillset is mostly focused on a one thing – DBA (well, it does require you to know OS specifics etc).

If you enjoy working with multiple platforms and applications, go for sysadmin. You’ll have a chance to deal with the Cloud, HA, provisioning, monitoring, backups, etc.

If you fancy optimising poorly written queries 50% of your work time, go for DBA.

Go for programming if you don’t like any of the above.

2. Rajesh says:

Hi I have a 4 years of Experience 2years Teaching and 2 years as Windows Server Administrator but I’m always think about programming
    Is it possible to move .net side ? If I choose is company accepts my decision ?

3. Sahithi says:

Sir I don’t have much knowledge in programming and all…I’m confused as what I should choose…Programming job or administration job…As I have gone through your replies I think, being a girl, programming is a better option.

Is choosing C or C++ a good option with more job opportunities or should I go for something like JAVA? By the way, due to some personal problems I had to pause my career for three years as soon as I got out of my engineering…Will this make it difficult for me to find a job asap? Kindly let me know about money I could make out of whatever you suggest…Thank you sir…

@Sahithi,

Yes, you should go for Programming and C/C++ is a good start, after all it’s the base language for any programming platform..

4. Bharat Mer says:

Thanks dear

5. Anna says:

I am b.tech CS final year student, I have ccna certification. I want to work in network industry, but the main problem is that in India all networking companies hire for night shifts and my parents are not comfortable with this. I don’t know what to do.I don’t like to code and don’t want to switch my field.

6. mohan says:

Hi, I am Mohan, I have 2 years of experience in Windows administrator (L1). Now I would like to enter into the next level of my career. So, which course is best? Linux or UNIX or cloud computing. Which course having more scope and high pay?

7. Asadullah says:

Hi , I am Asadullah, I want to know Software engineering has a bright future or Database? please Help me…

@Asadullah,

A software engineer must have front-end knowledge as well as back-end i.e. database, so you should go for both for better carrier..

8. Sumonta says:

Hi Sir,

I have 2 years experience in Linux administration in web hosting company but recently i feel stagnant for future. I decide to learn some different things Java (Developing) or Security (Penetration) ?

@Sumonta,

You already have 2 years of experience in Linux administration and this is good point to move forward with this Linux skills, why you so worrying about future? Linux is future, don’t you think? Learning new things are always great and adds extra skills to our resume..

9. Ranjeet Golkonda says:

Hi Mr. Ravi Saive,

I just graduated, Bachelor’s in computer science and I love both admin and programming, very confused which to select as my Career, please let me know which is good in area of career development and scope in the future..

10. krishna says:

Hi, I am Krishna, I did graduate in 2012 with multimedia course, started as my carrier as graphic designer for last 4 years, then present in this field so many tensions while i am in home also. I need peaceful job I can’t stay in our field.

I don’t have knowledge about programming, and even I don’t know how much knowledge I have in Administration. Which is having a better future in present market and opportunity. Which platform is best for me. Now I am interested to work in Linux industry and am also confused to choose oracle DBA …

please guide me

@Krishna,

For bright and better career, I think you should go for Linux Administration + Database Administration, both skills will have more chance of getting hired in IT industry..