Finally, On January 15th, 2013, the Fedora Project team announced the final release of Fedora 18 code-named (Spherical Cow) and made available for both 32-bit or 64-bit x86 processors. This release was taken three months longer than the planned scheduled and fedora developed is bit slower in recent years as compared to other operating systems such as Ubuntu and Linux Mint.
Fedora project is a community based open source and free Linux operating system and considered to be third most popular distribution and continues to provide innovative features to users. This new release included several new features such Kernel 3.6, GNOME 3.6, KDE 4.9, Xfce 4.10, LXDE, Python 3.3, Ruby on Rails 3.0 and much more. The default desktop version of Fedora 18 is GNOME 3.6, but you can also download KDE, Xfce or LXDE desktop environments, even you can also download and install Cinnamon and MATE desktops too from the Fedora’s yum package manager tool.
Features of Fedora 18 (Spherical Cow)
- The default anaconda installer interface has been completely re-written for Fedora 18.
- Added new FedUp tool for upgrading Fedora installation.
- UEFI Secure Boot enabled for Fedora systems.
- The newest GNOME v3.6 version comes with enhanced Messaging Tray that supports Microsoft Exchange and Skydrive.
- Fedora users have option to install an advanced desktop environment called Cinnamon, that based on GNOME 3.
- Fedora users also have an option to use MATE desktop with classic GNOME 2.x desktop interface.
- KDE Plasma Workspaces updated and comes with many new features.
- The lightweight Xfce v4.10 desktop updated with many bug fixes and enhancements.
- SSM (System Storage Manager) has been updated and improved.
- Perl, Python and Rails programming languages are updated.
- Apache package has been upgraded to version 2.4.3-1 and lighttpd package to version 1.4.32-2.
- Included OpenStack cloud computing platform to create your own cloud infrastructure.
- Now system can updates offline, enables more stable updates of system critical components.
- Included Samba4 an open source implementation of Active Directory protocols.
- For more features. See Fedora 18 release note.
Download Fedora 18 DVD ISO Images
We have provided the following links for downloading Fedora 18 Live DVD ISO images via web or ftp.
Download Fedora 18 DVD
Fedora 18 Network Install CD
- Download Fedora 18 Network Install 32-bit CD – (327 MB)
- Download Fedora 18 Network Install 64-bit CD – (294 MB)
Fedora 18 GNOME Desktop
- Download Fedora 18 GNOME Live 32-Bit DVD – (889 MB)
- Download Fedora 18 GNOME Live 64-Bit DVD – (916 MB)
Fedora 18 KDE Desktop
Fedora 18 Xfce Desktop
- Download Fedora 18 Xfce Live 32-Bit DVD – (662 MB)
- Download Fedora 18 Xfce Live 64-Bit DVD – (691 MB)