How to Install Ubuntu 16.10/16.04 Alongside With Windows 10 or 8 in Dual-Boot

Matei Cezar

I'am a computer addicted guy, a fan of open source and linux based system software, have about 4 years experience with Linux distributions desktop, servers and bash scripting.

1. Chris says:

For some reason Windows killed my dual boot option. Seen a lot of this on the interwebs.

Could not find a way to see the Ubuntu dual boot menu, even after applying solutions from web.

Could this be due to boot security in my BIOS? I saw an option in there about something along the lines of “monitors crucial system files for changes“.

• George Jardine says:

Chris, I’m finally able to dual boot my Dell laptop into Ubuntu with Secure Boot turned on, but to get the regular Boot Sequence in UEFI to work, I had to first run Boot-Repair on the Linux drive.

2. John says:

I followed these steps exactly. The problem I have is that when my computer boots, it boots straight into windows and gives me no choice of OS. I can hit the F11 key on boot up and select which OS to run, however I’d have to do this manually every time.

In boot options in my BIOS where I can select boot priorities, there is no option to select Ubuntu. I’m at the end of the road with this, if there’s anything that can help I’d be eternally grateful.

• Matei Cezar says:

It looks like the system is a UEFI based machine, not a BIOS. In UEFI settings, boot priorities menu, just select the drive you’ve installed Ubuntu, not Windows boot manager.

• Hayden says:

I just had the same problem at first. It turns out there is a setting in bios, that worked for me atleast. Under the “boot” settings I was able to switch Ubuntu to position one and Windows to position two. Hope that helps!

3. George Jardine says:

Thanks, Matei, best instructions I’ve found yet. But during installation I ran into this warning to “Force UEFI Installation” on a Dell 7520 that already has Win 10 on it: “This machine’s firmware has started the installer in UEFI mode, but it looks like there may be existing operating systems already installed using BIOS compatibility mode.

If you continue in UEFI mode, it might be difficult to reboot the machine into any BIOS-mode OS later. If you wish to install UEFI mode and don’t care about keeping the ability to boot one of the existing systems, you have the option to force here.”

Of course I want to retain the ability to boot into Windows, but after choosing NOT to continue in UEFI mode, I completed the Ubuntu install, only to find that BIOS couldn’t find it! My laptop now only sees the Win 10 OS, and I can’t boot into Linux.

Any idea where I went wrong? (I’m trying to install on a second drive…. NOT onto the same drive as Win is installed on)

4. Chris says:

Crucial info is missing at partition stage. Don’t know what options to pick.

Device for boot loader installation

Choose Window boot manager, or /, or /home?

:-(

• Chris says:

Okay I went back and repeated the step leaving the option as default “Windows boot” and managed to continue with information appearing to be okay.

Just would hate to break my Windows boot though.

5. Jenniffer says:

Hello, sorry. I haven’t understood the part place the usb stick in the appropriate drive, actually i have understood but I don’t know how to do it. Can someone help me?

6. SRIKAR REDDY says:

Hello, that’s a good explanation, but initially I am not getting the option for “Instal Ubuntu alongside windows” and in “something else“, it is not showing me free space, please suggest me on this..!!

• Matei Cezar says:

On UEFI installed machines, the disk is automatically partitioned with GPT partition scheme. Ubuntu installation must be performed from UEFI in this case. In Legacy Mode you can try to change HDD partition table from MBR to GPT or recreate partitions, with the second partition as extended.

7. Erik says:

Thank you man, awesome tutorial. I tried to get it working all day and finaly I succeed with the help of this tutorial. :)

8. deb says:

Hi! First of all, great tutorial, thanks for sharing. I have a problem in step 8 second part, after creating the root partition the volume that’s left changes from “free space” to “unusable” and I’m not longer able to click the + button to create the home partition.

Do you know why this may be happening? any ideas on how to solve it? Appreciate the help.

9. NK says:

Thank you for this excellent post! It worked for me.

10. Peter Weidner says:

Many thanks for this perfect step-by-step tutorial, it worked perfectly for me.