This ebook will walk you through the beginnings of Linux and the contributions of Linus Torvalds and Richard Stallman to performing secure file transfers over a network. You’ll learn how to manage users and groups, and to write shell scripts to help automate system administration tasks.
Have little or no experience with Linux? That is not a problem at all. We will provide you with 1 ready-to-go Linux virtual machine that you can use to get started.
On top of it, every chapter comes with exercises to apply what you have learned in that chapter, and we also provide solutions to those exercises.
And believe us, this is only the tip of the iceberg.
What’s inside this eBook?
Read the table of contents of “Learn Linux In One Week” here.
Chapter 1 – Introduction to Linux
- What is Linux?
- Installing VirtualBox on Windows
- Importing Linux Mint 18 and CentOS 7 virtual machines on VirtualBox
- VirtualBox extension pack and guest additions
Chapter 2 – Files and Directories in Linux
- The Filesystem Hierarchy Standard
- What is the shell?
- Commands: pwd, cd, ls
- More commands: touch, echo, mkdir, rmdir, rm, cp, mv
- Redirection and pipelines
- History and tab-completion in the command line
- Bonus: Exercises 1 with solutions
Chapter 3 – Permissions and Ownership
- Users and groups
- Important files: /etc/passwd, /etc/group, /etc/shadow
- Commands: chmod, chown, chgrp, visudo
- The /etc/sudoers file
- Bonus: Exercises 2 with solutions
Chapter 4 – Finding and Describing Files
- Find files based on one or more search criteria
- Describing files
- Commands: find, type, file
- Bonus: Exercises 3 with solutions
Chapter 5 – Linux Processes Management
- Definition of a process
- Commands: ps, top, nice, renice, kill, killall
- Bonus: Exercises 4 with solutions
Chapter 6 – Learn Shell Scripts
- Shell scripts with Bash
- Environment Variables
- Variable substitution
- Shell expansion
- Bonus: Exercises 5 with solutions
Chapter 7 – Linux Software Package Management
- Learn aptitude to search for, install, update, or remove packages.
- Learn yum to search for, install, update, or remove packages.
- Bonus: Exercises 6 with solutions
Chapter 8 – Network Operations
- Installing and configuring an SSH server
- Copying files securely over the network
- Bonus: Exercises 7 with solutions
We believe learning Linux should not be difficult, and should not cost you an exaggerated amount of time or money. We are not only passionate about Linux and other Free and Open Source technologies but also about teaching those topics.
That is why, by buying “Learn Linux In One Week”, you don’t just get the ebook to learn on your own – you also get our support to answer questions and free updates when we release them.
With your purchase, you will also be supporting Tecmint.com and helping us to continue providing high-quality articles on our website for free, as always. We are offering this ebook for $20 for a limited time.
|For International Users||Price in Dollar||PayPal||Stripe|
|Introducing Learn Linux In One Week and Go from Zero to Hero||$ 20.00||Order Now||Order Now|
We look forward to hearing from you – don’t miss this opportunity! Feel free to reach out to us if you have questions about the contents of the book or if you would like a sample chapter for free to evaluate your purchase.