Upgrade Linux Mint 15 (Olivia) to Linux Mint 16 (Petra)

On November 30th 2013, the Linux Mint team proudly announced the release of Linux Mint 16 PetraMATE. This release is the result of 6 months of incremental buildup on top of fast and decent technologies. This new release brings new updated software, new features and refinements to make your desktop look even more appropriate to use.

This guides shows you how to upgrade from Linux Mint 15Olivia” to Linux Mint 16Petra”. A new version of Linux Mint is released every 6 months with new features and improvements but it doesn’t wrong staying with the release you already have. In fact, you can ditch many released and bond with the version that works better for you.

Each Linux Mint release comes with bug fixes and new security updates for about 18 months. If these bug fixes and security updates are crucial to you, then you should keep upgrading your system to latest released, otherwise as I said above there isn’t wrong with keeping things as they are.

Before upgrading, the most critical things is to take backup of your personal data. During upgrade if something goes wrong and your system broke up. At least your personal data will be safe and OS can be reinstalled.

Make sure that the release you planning to upgrading is stable with your current hardware. Every release comes with different Kernel version and make sure your hardware recognized by the latest version of Linux Mint.

That’s the reason Linux Mint comes with LiveCD, you can try the latest release on your system and see if everything works fine. So, you can move further to upgrade.

There are many various ways of upgrading to latest release, but here we show you package upgrades using apt-get method and other method is a fresh upgrades.

The APT method is only recommended to advanced users who are familiar with apt-get command and it is the default package management system used by Linux Mint.

How to Upgrade Linux Mint 15 to Linux Mint 16

Run the following commands to replace “raring” with “saucy” and “olivia” with “petra”. These two words denotes the OS distributions names for the Ubuntu package base used by Linux Mint 15.

$ sudo sed -i 's/raring/saucy/' /etc/apt/sources.list
$ sudo sed -i 's/olivia/petra/' /etc/apt/sources.list
$ sudo sed -i 's/raring/saucy/' /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list
$ sudo sed -i 's/olivia/petra/' /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list

Next, run the following commands to fully update the system.

$ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
$ sudo apt-get upgrade

During upgrade process, the apt manager will ask you keep new configuration files, simple type “Y” to accept the new files. The old files and new files remain in same directory, but with the appendix “.dpkg-old“, so if you’re not happy with new configuration you can restore your old configuration any time. This may takes several minutes depending on your system hardware and internet speed.

Reboot the system once packages are updated successfully. That’s it.

Upgrade to Linux Mint 16

Linux Mint 16 Desktop

Reference Links

1. Linux Mint Homepage

TecMint is the fastest growing and most trusted community site for any kind of Linux Articles, Guides and Books on the web. Millions of people visit TecMint! to search or browse the thousands of published articles available FREELY to all.

If you like what you are reading, please consider buying us a coffee ( or 2 ) as a token of appreciation.

Support Us

Ravi Saive

I am Ravi Saive, creator of TecMint. A Computer Geek and Linux Guru who loves to share tricks and tips on Internet. Most Of My Servers runs on Open Source Platform called Linux. Follow Me: Twitter, Facebook and Google+

1. Glenn Stubbs says:

I ran Ravi’s original set of commands. When I rebooted the system I also got the “Cinnamon crashing…” message. I let it run in Fallback mode.
    I then ran the regular Update Manager, rebooted again, and everything was fine.

Hope this helps.

Glenn

2. Number703 says:

Didn’t work and it kind of messed up my system… When I ran the two “/etc/apt/sources.list” commands, they worked fine, but the two “/etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list” commands came with an error “sed: can’t read /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list: No such file or directory.” I ignored it and went ahead with the upgrade, everything seemed to go fine until I rebooted. It says I have Mint 16, but I cannot use Gnome (just a blank screen with a useless mouse pointer) and in Mate everything is a little screwy. I just have the desktop, no menus or anything (I have to open everything from terminal), and I can’t move windows around. I can click things, maximize and minimize windows (but once they’re minimized I can’t open them again). Any suggestions? I made a post at http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=163143 including an apt-get printout, thanks for any help.

3. Kuno says:

I have upgraded to mint 15 but get a black screen on boot up can’t bypass go to type in crpt key and goes black. Can see log panel barely. I have tried everything listed on all pages i have found with no success.

4. Andy says:

Followed all the steps on this web page for my Linux Mint 15 (Olivia) virtual machine and also accepted “package maintener’s file” that is updated for all package files before rebooting the kernel. End result was a black screen with a hanging cursor on the top-left.

Thank goodness I made a snapshot of VM before following through with the steps.

In sum, this is not a reliable guide and I don’t think I will trust any guides written by this author again. :/

5. japlish says:

So I tried the commands, but fails. I don`t know how to get the tiny ““““ to point the other way. I have in on a a key with 4 text options (but I only know how to access two).

So; I downloaded the ISO. But cannot run the ISO withing Linux 15 (which will not let me run Japanese and English).

So; I thought I would wipe the SSD, but I put it in HDD case and connected it to my other haswell PC (to format it) but the USB does not recognize the HDD/SSD drive (its invisible).

Why are computers such [email protected] to work with. I am really pleased my car is not such an irritating code-break to get started on a morning.

No doubt programmers would have been dragged out and shot in some countries at certain points in history (as were readers in Cambodia).

6. Bob Dole says:

Is this secure and is the article updated to what it should be, I see people saying no do this, no do that in the comments…

You all know how long it is to have all the programs and desktop layouts you want before you are satisfied with your distro installation. Another issue is that i have 4.6gb of space left on my mint 15 partition, I so expect this to be an issue as it downloads all what’s needed…everything I download except programs, I place on another drive. After using the backup tool and saving all that needs saving to another drive, I might proceed…i’m just afraid this won’t be as good as if I used an usb key to boot and install over, but we all know this way of proceeding can’t be done without formatting.

7. Raj says:

I get two System Setting Menus after updating using the way you have shown.
    One shows linux mint 16
    Second shows Ubuntu 13.10.

What to do man…?

• Magnon says:

Upgraded Successfully…

I also noticed two Shortcuts to System Settings,
      -one under Menu > Preferences > System Settings
      (shows Appearance, Preferences, Hardware & Administration sections)
      -one under Menu > Administration > System Settings
      (shows Personal, Hardware & System sections)

Under Menu > Preferences, I also have two shortcuts for
      -Bluetooth
      -Network
      -[one Language & Support shortcut with matching icon too] Regional & Language
      -Startup Applications
      -Universal Access

Any ideas on an easy way to sort them out?

8. Ed Carp says:

Upgraded from 15 to 16, rebooted, logged in, and nothing! Whoops … changed the session to Xfce instead of the default, all is well… :)

9. Pramit says:

I have upgraded from Mint 15 Olivia to 16 Petra using the following:

$ sudo sed -i ‘s/raring/saucy/’ /etc/apt/sources.list
    $ sudo sed -i ‘s/olivia/petra/’ /etc/apt/sources.list
    $ sudo sed -i ‘s/raring/saucy/’ /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list
    $ sudo sed -i ‘s/olivia/petra/’ /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list

$ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    $ sudo apt-get upgrade

there was some connectivity issue during the installation during the ‘sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade’ but installation was successful. Initially it gave me an error:
    “Do you want to restart – running in fallback mode” which did not restart on clicking yes and owuld go on clicking no.
    I once again updated via terminal using he following commands again

$ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    $ sudo apt-get upgrade

since then i am getting this BlackNBlue error – i don’t remember using this theme on Olivia but i believe it seems to be a problem irrespective.

I tried all the options availables in various forums viz:

1. pacman was not installed so i installed it using the ‘apt-get’ command but on running the
    “pacman -s mdm-themes-extra” – i got an error saying ‘no display available’

2. ‘edit /etc/mdm/defaults.conf’ command gives an error saying it works only with applications.

by now you would have understood i am very new to this.

As suggested at another forum I also tried via the root shell by going to ‘html-themes’ using cd and tried to rename ‘cloud’ to ‘blacknblue’ using ‘mv’ but an error occurred saying ‘no file or directory present’.

Please help as i am unable to log into Mint 16.

I have a dual-boot laptop with Ubuntu 13.04 & Mint 16 (supposedly) on different partitions. They were both working fine till i upgraded Mint.

All help is appreciated.
    thanks.

10. Kurian says:

Dear Ravi, I have successfully upgraded to mint16 from mint15, but I have a doubt my C drive is having both files now. That is that of mint15 and 16. how we can find out the old unwanted files of mint 15 and remove it.

regards