Installing GUI (Cinnamon Desktop) and Basic Softwares in Arch Linux

Matei Cezar

I'am a computer addicted guy, a fan of open source and linux based system software, have about 4 years experience with Linux distributions desktop, servers and bash scripting.

1. allan says:

thank you after a struggle i finally did it credits to you

2. Ovid Herron says:

My System Settings don’t seem to be working correctly..
    Any ideas on what could have caused this issue?

• Matei Cezar says:

It could be a bug in Cinnamon System Settings. Try capture the errors and reply on Arch mail list or forums.

3. Dan says:

Thankyou for the guide, it worked great!!

4. Yaser says:

Finally I installed Arch linux with your complete easy step by step guide . Thank you so much

5. Daniel says:

This is the third tutorial of yours that i go through and I just have to say how grateful I am, thanks!

6. om says:

I really appreciate your tutorials. The best of what I have seen for now on installing Arch. Thank you

7. mesam says:

Hi, I actually am trying to access cinnamon in a VM. MY computer is a windows laptop and i want to switch back and forth between the two would i be able to do that if i follow the steps above? I have installed cinnamon using the following steps:

yum grouplist

yum groupinstall “Cinnamon Desktop” –skip-broken

systemctl set-default graphical.target /// this last command is to make sure that the cinnamon launches in graphical mode, but when this is done i don’t see anything happen?

I’d appreciate if anyone could give me some help!

@Mesam,
      Have you rebooted the machine after last command? if not, just reboot the machine and see its taking you into graphical mode..

8. Ziyan says:

nevermind, I’ve found a solution, thanks for the tutorial, very helpful.

9. Ziyan says:

um… I followed all the steps, but when I logged in to GDM, my username is not listed, so I have to log in as root as my username,, how can I make my user available? .__.

10. David says:

Amazing, thank you! Just what I needed.