Create an Active Directory Infrastructure with Samba4 on Ubuntu – Part 1

3. Get your own self-hosted blog with a Free Domain at ($3.95/month).

Matei Cezar

I'am a computer addicted guy, a fan of open source and linux based system software, have about 4 years experience with Linux distributions desktop, servers and bash scripting.

1. James says:

Great guide! I did have a question: I currently run DHCP on my Windows AD controller too. Could I also run DHCP on an Ubuntu using the documentation on AND still manage it with the RSAT tools in Windows?

• Matei Cezar says:

You cannot control in any a Linux dhcp server via RSAT. They have different inplementations in Linux and Windows, altough they offer the same services. In linux you can manage the server from cli and through its config files. However, you can setup both dhcp servers to assign ip addresses for your network, but use different network ranges and setup only one server as authorative.

2. Rafael Pereira says:

Congratulations!! Thanks a lot!!!

3. Pat says:

What a great article! Quick question. I had this running nicely for a while, but all of a sudden, my Windows 7 hosts cannot connect to shares in the AD anymore. I haven’t touched anything on the settings side of things.

Are you aware of an update that might have broken things? My Mac hosts are still happily connecting with their domain accounts, but any windows 7 hosts just keep prompting for the password without allowing connection.

• Matei Cezar says:

It can be some update issues with windows file sharing clients. Consult Microsoft docs and verify if samba SMBv1 has been disabled in Windows client, after applying wannacry updates.

• Pat says:

Thanks for the reply Matei. It turns out it was user error.

The servers I was trying to connect to had been reconfigured in the DNS and there was a mistake with the CNAME and A Record being inverted. Simply fixing the DNS resolved the issue.

I’m surprised it worked for so long after changing the DNS, I assume the entries were cached.

4. Chris Restemayer says:

kinit [email protected]

Everything worked all the way up until that point. That command doesn’t work for me. It rejects the password. This is a fresh install. I’ve put one, and only one, password on this computer, and that doesn’t work, so I have no idea what its asking for here.

I’ve tried the one password that I’ve actually set; I’ve tried leaving it blank; I’ve tried “password,” “administrator,” and “admin.” I’m out of ideas. What is this default password? More importantly, how do I root change the password.

Kpassword demands the old password, which I obviously don’t have.

5. Bas Auer says:

Hi Matei,

Yet again a great manual. You make admin life a lot easier!

I have a question. Do you know when Ubuntu will release a more up to date samba4 version. The version which is installed with Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS is version 4.3.11-Ubuntu. Samba 4 version 4.3.11 is already EOL since 2017-03-07.

Or does Ubuntu maintain this version till the EOL of Ubuntu 16.04?

• Matei Cezar says:

You should check out on Ubuntu launchpad. I don’t know what Ubuntu is planning with maintaining their versions of the samba project.