How to Move Home Directory to New Partition or Disk in Linux

Aaron Kili

Aaron Kili is a Linux and F.O.S.S enthusiast, an upcoming Linux SysAdmin, web developer, and currently a content creator for TecMint who loves working with computers and strongly believes in sharing knowledge.

1. David says:

Thank you; simplest explanation of this I have found.

2. Mitch says:

Aaron, your procedure worked great! I installed and partitioned a Western Digital 1TB external USB drive (/dev/sdb) and created 1 partition (sdb1) with 500GB (the rest I left as free space). Using your procedure, I moved my /home directory and am successfully mounting it via /etc/fstab.

However, this did not solve the problem that I’m having. I have an internal 250GB drive (/dev/sda) that is still being reported by the df command as having 0 free disk space available.

Do you have any insights as to why this is happening on my Linux box (Debian 8)? I have checked lsof and found mainly files being held open by the systemd and X11 processes. df also sees that /home is now mounted on /dev/sdb1. I was expecting that the 660+MB /home to show as free. I have also shutdown hoping that any processes preventing the space on /dev/sda from being freed would release it.

I was hoping to attach files with the output from df and parted -l but do not see any way of doing this. If you can add any suggestions or point me in any directions, i would appreciate your help. Once I get this issue solved I will probably use this process to create a second partition on /dev/sdb and move my /var to it as you mention in your article.

Thanks in advance,
    Mitch

• Aaron Kili says:

@Mitch

Did you delete the old home directory on /dev/sda after moving home to /dev/sdb? You can use this guide, to find directories and files consuming space on /dev/sda: https://www.tecmint.com/find-top-large-directories-and-files-sizes-in-linux/.

• Mitch says:

Aaron, Tried to recycle an old 1TB WD drive to use for /home and /var, it crashed! Bought a WD easy store portable USB 2TB drive for $59.00 and implemented using your procedure.

Everything worked flawlessly. I now have Debian upgraded to 9.0, with /dev/sdb1 (500GB) as /home, /dev/sdb2 (750GB) as /var and /dev/sdb3 (750GB) as /tmp. /dev/sda (250GB) as the system/boot device with only 1% used. I should be good to go for a long time. The old /dev/sdba with everything physically on it lasted for 2 years.

I modified your procedure by 2 steps for each /home, /var and /tmp. /srv has /home, /var and /tmp in it. When it came to the step to rm (/home/*, /var/* and /tmp/*) I renamed (mv) those directories to /-hold until I tested with root and user logins. This gave me the safety net of recovering easily if I needed to. Then I created new /home, /var and /tmp directories to mount to. In the end I removed the *-hold directories.

Thank you for your article and help. This is a GREAT site, I’ve looked at your other suggested articles … all are of the highest quality. I WILL be bookmarking this site for future reference.

Mitch

3. Mike says:

Newbie here, and wanting to isolate my data and worked very well, just for the info “rm -rf /home/*” failed initially because I had Nemo open there and “diff -r /home /srv/home” showed a few files in the “Trash“.

4. Marc says:

Nice HowTo !

thanks you very much.

5. jimG says:

Saved me hours! Great writing!

6. Maury Lee says:

Very clear, elegant, simply, and it worked, first try for me. I had watched 20 videos and all kinds of complex ways to do this. I was sure there was a simpler method, but couldn’t find one. Then I found this post. WOW, is all I can say. Saved my a lot of trouble and fixed my no room on /root problem. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

7. Nahuel Iglesias says:

If you’re not using LVM this method is OK, but I’d strongly suggest stopping any service that allows users login or access in any way to the contents in /home wile the task is being executed. Think sshd, httpd (if allowing ~user), ftp. If possible, ‘telinit 1’ is the safest choice (in fact, it is a MUST if moving /var to another disk/partition).
    Bottom line: use LVM for a happier life :-)

• Aaron Kili says:

@Nahuel

“but I’d strongly suggest stopping any service that allows users login or access in any way to the contents in /home wile the task is being executed.” – so true, actually forgot to mention this in the guide. Many thanks for the head up.

8. Manu says:

Hi Mate,

That we can use LVM concept at here that make easy to manage filesystems ?plz advice.

9. Alexey says:

Thank you for your article, a very detailed explanation.

But I have one question about the content of the /home folder after remounting on /dev/sdb1.

As far as I understand, in the beginning you created /srv/home folder and then copy the content from /home folder to the /srv/home. After that you checked the difference between them by using diff tool.

Then you removed everything inside of the /home and unmounted /srv/home.

Everything is clear at this stage.

And next, you remounted again /home to a new HDD /dev/sdb1.

But in my opinion, in that case the new /home folder is empty since you removed the content of this folder earlier and didn’t copy the content from /srv/home to this /home before this mounting.

What did I miss here?

Thank you!

• Aaron Kili says:

@Alexey

Yes, the new /home folder is empty since its content was removed earlier on. Remember we copied it into the /srv/home directory which was mounted to /dev/sdb1. Meaning the content was stored in the space on /dev/sdb1; here /srv/home only acted as the mount point.

A mount point like /srv/home or /home is simply a directory from which we can access a filesystem space such as /dev/sdb1.

Then we unmounted /srv/home but still the content is present on /dev/sdb1, finally we mounted /dev/sdb1 to /home which is the new mount point.

I know it’s a little confusing but reading through the mount command manual page will help you understand better.

10. Flavio says:

Thanks for your great article! I’m a newbie so I have a question: why you partitioned the second hard drive in two partitions and why you have chosen to format the second one in xfs?

Flavio

• Aaron Kili says:

@Flavio

We have created two partitions with different filesystem types for demonstration purposes. You can choose to create one partition on the new disk depending on your needs.

Thanks.