Upgrade Linux Mint 15 (Olivia) to Linux Mint 16 (Petra)

On November 30th 2013, the Linux Mint team proudly announced the release of Linux Mint 16 PetraMATE. This release is the result of 6 months of incremental buildup on top of fast and decent technologies. This new release brings new updated software, new features and refinements to make your desktop look even more appropriate to use.

This guides shows you how to upgrade from Linux Mint 15Olivia” to Linux Mint 16Petra”. A new version of Linux Mint is released every 6 months with new features and improvements but it doesn’t wrong staying with the release you already have. In fact, you can ditch many released and bond with the version that works better for you.

Each Linux Mint release comes with bug fixes and new security updates for about 18 months. If these bug fixes and security updates are crucial to you, then you should keep upgrading your system to latest released, otherwise as I said above there isn’t wrong with keeping things as they are.

Before upgrading, the most critical things is to take backup of your personal data. During upgrade if something goes wrong and your system broke up. At least your personal data will be safe and OS can be reinstalled.

Make sure that the release you planning to upgrading is stable with your current hardware. Every release comes with different Kernel version and make sure your hardware recognized by the latest version of Linux Mint.

That’s the reason Linux Mint comes with LiveCD, you can try the latest release on your system and see if everything works fine. So, you can move further to upgrade.

There are many various ways of upgrading to latest release, but here we show you package upgrades using apt-get method and other method is a fresh upgrades.

The APT method is only recommended to advanced users who are familiar with apt-get command and it is the default package management system used by Linux Mint.

How to Upgrade Linux Mint 15 to Linux Mint 16

Run the following commands to replace “raring” with “saucy” and “olivia” with “petra”. These two words denotes the OS distributions names for the Ubuntu package base used by Linux Mint 15.

$ sudo sed -i 's/raring/saucy/' /etc/apt/sources.list
$ sudo sed -i 's/olivia/petra/' /etc/apt/sources.list
$ sudo sed -i 's/raring/saucy/' /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list
$ sudo sed -i 's/olivia/petra/' /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list

Next, run the following commands to fully update the system.

$ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
$ sudo apt-get upgrade

During upgrade process, the apt manager will ask you keep new configuration files, simple type “Y” to accept the new files. The old files and new files remain in same directory, but with the appendix “.dpkg-old“, so if you’re not happy with new configuration you can restore your old configuration any time. This may takes several minutes depending on your system hardware and internet speed.

Reboot the system once packages are updated successfully. That’s it.

Upgrade to Linux Mint 16

Linux Mint 16 Desktop

Reference Links

1. Linux Mint Homepage
Best Affordable Linux and WordPress Services For Your Business
Outsource Your Linux and WordPress Project and Get it Promptly Completed Remotely and Delivered Online.

Ravi Saive

I am Ravi Saive, creator of TecMint. A Computer Geek and Linux Guru who loves to share tricks and tips on Internet. Most Of My Servers runs on Open Source Platform called Linux. Follow Me: Twitter, Facebook and Google+

1. arigalt says:

Thanks for this post,

Im going to try upgrade from julia to 14.04 doing this same method.

2. Ugly Duck says:

Hi, I am running linux mint 15 cinnamon 64 bit installed with mint4win as a dual boot with Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium.

I tried to upgrade to Linux mint 17 with the following commands:
    sudo sed -i ‘s/raring/trusty/’ /etc/apt/sources.list
    sudo sed -i ‘s/olivia/qiana/’ /etc/apt/sources.list
    sudo sed -i ‘s/raring/trusty/’ /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list
    sudo sed -i ‘s/olivia/qiana/’ /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list

and

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    sudo apt-get upgrade

I kept Y (keeping the Package maintainers version) whenever prompted.

Then
    sudo reboot

But after reboot, it doesn’t boot anymore, it drops to “initramfs” prompt and the file system became read-only. I couldn’t access any console as none of the tty worked.

What mistake did i do?

I did it 3 times, every time it was the same.

My laptop had a 25 GB recovery partition with no label, i thought this was causing the problem. I deleted that partition, and went through the same process again, but no luck.

Please help me here.

3. Michael Walsh says:

I’m confused by the first four instructions given at the top of this tutorial.

I wanted to find out what these four instructions did. Namely:
    $ sudo sed -i ‘s/raring/saucy/’ /etc/apt/sources.list
    $ sudo sed -i ‘s/olivia/petra/’ /etc/apt/sources.list
    $ sudo sed -i ‘s/raring/saucy/’ /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list
    $ sudo sed -i ‘s/olivia/petra/’ /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list

Let us examine the first command:
    $ sudo sed -i ‘s/raring/saucy/’ /etc/apt/sources.list

“sudo” just gives the user “super-user” privileges temporarily.
    The “sed” command is a text stream editor that opens a given file, looks in it for a string of text, and wherever that text occurs, replaces it with a different string of text.

So the first command open the file “sources.list” in the directory /etc/apt/, and wherever it finds the word “raring”, replaces it with the word “saucy”.
    The switch “-i” tells the “sed” command to do the replacement “in-place”.

In essence, the first two instructions open the file “sources.list” and replace the word “raring” with “saucy”, and replace the word “olivia” with “petra”.
    The third and fourth instructions open the file “official-package-repositories.list” and perform the same replacements.

That looks easy. I decided to go to the /etc/apt/ directory, find the “sources.list” file, and edit it myself. That would help me understand what is going on, and would avoid the problem of using the wrong quotes, and avoid typo-errors when typing these lo-o-o-ng instructions.

I opened a terminal window by clicking the terminal icon at the bottom of the screen.
    I typed this command to get to the /etc/apt/ directory.
    cd /etc/apt
    I typed the “print working directory” command “pwd” to check that I was in the right folder.
    pwd

I typed the “list files” command “ls”, to make sure the file “sources.list” was really there.
    ls

It was on the list, so it was there.

I opened the file for editing using the text editor called gedit with this command.
    sudo gedit sources.list

Much to my surprise I found the file contained only one line which was:
    # deb http://archive.getdeb.net/ubuntu raring-getdeb apps games

I noted three things from looking at the line in this file:
    1) There is only one occurrence of the word “raring”, so it was easy to change it to “saucy” by editing it manually.
    2) There was no occurrence of the word “olivia”, so that made the second instruction (above) redundant.
    3) The first character of the line is a hash ” # “, which makes the line a comment only, so it will never get executed anyway, even after changing “raring” to “saucy”.

Therefore the first two instructions given above only change a line that will never be executed anyway.

I then checked the file “official-package-repositories.list” in the directory
    /etc/apt/sources.list.d
    Much to my surprise I found a warning in the first line saying:
    “# Do not edit this file manually, use Software Sources instead.”
    This tells me not to use the third and fourth instructions above, which edit the file.

I’m puzzled. Can you please explain.

Michael Walsh

4. Avinash Kumar Rai says:

While updating power went down and now when I log in a blank screen is shown..pls help

5. Bob says:

Upgrade went so easy with none personal byte lost IN my case … i`we just followed the given howto … and my system is now upgraded without any byte data lost, even i made backup/just in case … this is just an top example how things should work -lovely easy way. Tnx to all who made this work. Mint 15 x64 to 16 x64 Cinnamon. Charming for the way:-)
    Now the backsides – Upgrade took me 2 GB of data.
    And as guide said wait “couple of minutes” -> it was ment WAIT 10 mins on ssd… ;-)

6. danial says:

Thanks broke my system
    First comes up ugly – buggy – creepy unity
    After unistall it nothing comes up and I have to reinstall new linux mint 16

7. Danial says:

Errors were encountered while processing:
    /var/cache/apt/archives/unity-greeter_13.10.3-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

8. israel says:

I have a problem at the end of the procesess it says it will add more mb more do I want to continue (Y/n) when I enter Y it says abort. what should I input

9. Johan says:

I have no problem using this way to get in 16, atm i dont have any other solution, 16 demands a live cd to continue the installation so i have to take the longer route, but i am very glad u did this thread, i am installing i installed dbus and was fixing the error when i turned on linux pam by mistake, took around 10 min then i was locked out from system.

oh well tested newest LMDE its to messy atm to deal with back to 16 and have some fun.

//Regards Johan

10. Navlig says:

Ravi, thanks man. It all worked perfectly.

Hugs,