How to Monitor Keyboard Keystrokes Using ‘LogKeys’ in Linux

Best Affordable Linux and WordPress Services For Your Business
Outsource Your Linux and WordPress Project and Get it Promptly Completed Remotely and Delivered Online.

Ravi Saive

I am Ravi Saive, creator of TecMint. A Computer Geek and Linux Guru who loves to share tricks and tips on Internet. Most Of My Servers runs on Open Source Platform called Linux. Follow Me: Twitter, Facebook and Google+

1. venu says:

hai can u let me know how to install Monitor Keyboard Keystrokes Using ‘LogKeys’ in centos 6.6

2. __A says:

Nice =), so far for my system security this happens when you boot my system without it’s special usb key i made for it….. automatically connects to nearest hotspot, connects to tor, enables sshd on tor as hidden service, pings my terminal via tor, starts capturing the screen via /dev/fb0 and takes pictures via the webcam and uploads them via tor to my terminal, 4 times a minute…. so having this makes the security so much more…… so many many thanks for such a useful things…. cheers….. __A
    all thats missing now is package capture and mouse tracking….. bottom line, dont nick my laptop as i will be knocking on your door =)

3. Ravi Agarwal says:

Nice and very helpful article. I have done all the steps as in the post and but my log file is empty. Your help is much appreciated .

4. alphy says:

I tried installing logkeys in my vps Centos, but got the following error and could not find any solution :
    ===
    checking for /dev/input… no
    configure: error: Input event interface devices not found in expected location /dev/input/eventX !
    ===

please assist

• Avishek Kumar says:

try making the file at the specified location /dev/input/eventx manually with root permission and try to execute once again. Let us know.

5. Henrx says:

I don’t understand the tutorial. I get all the way to the last part and that’s where it gets confusing. The log file does not represent what I typed. Even the picture that you have showing does not represent what YOU typed either. I don’t understand how to read the log file or what’s going on here?

6. rabindra says:

Thanks for the complete tutorial. It worked for me. But, how do we make the tracker automatically start everytime?

• Avishek Kumar says:

You may write a script and make it start automatically at System Boot.

Here is the Process Algo.

1. Write Script
      2. sudo mv /script /etc/init.d/
      3. sudo chmod +x /etc/init.d/script
      4. sudo update-rc.d script defaults

#Script should now start on boot.

The script would be very simple, which will just trigger the command!
      Hope it Helps

7. remo thomaz says:

[[email protected] logkeys-0.1.1a]# locale-gen
    bash: locale-gen: command not found
    [[email protected] logkeys-0.1.1a]#

8. Chris Jones says:

Er… Chris Jones.. that was… no “T”… :-)

9. Christ Jones says:

I appreciate your effort. The problem as I see it is that at the end of the day logkeys provides heaps of raw data in a hard-to-read format. Not directly useable. Aren’t there any tools that can be run against a logkeys log file that give some idea of what you did during the day… (not limited to e.g.) stuff like… total number of key presses… total number of times each key was pressed… for each key pressed.. what percentage of the total it accounts for.. times when you were actually typing.. typing speed… total time you actually typed… etc. ? these are just a few examples of stuff that comes to mind without giving it much thought… so there’s surely a lot more… Naturally it would be nice to have the possibility to graph all those stats… If such tools are not available the only purpose of the logkeys program would appear to let someone with administrator privileges snoop on whatever other users of the system are typing.

10. thierel says: