How to Install and Use Linux Malware Detect (LMD) with ClamAV as Antivirus Engine

Gabriel Cánepa

Gabriel Cánepa is a GNU/Linux sysadmin and web developer from Villa Mercedes, San Luis, Argentina. He works for a worldwide leading consumer product company and takes great pleasure in using FOSS tools to increase productivity in all areas of his daily work.

1. I’m a bit of a novice here, but I wanted more protection for my server and was glad to find this article. I attempted to load Maldet and ClamAV on my Centos 5 server. When I run it, I’m getting errors and I get the following.

I’m eager for help. Thanks.

# maldet -a /home/brotherhood2/
    , please try again later.f} could not download
    Linux Malware Detect v1.5
    (C) 2002-2016, R-fx Networks
    (C) 2016, Ryan MacDonald
    This program may be freely redistributed under the terms of the GNU GPL v2

maldet(19972): {scan} signatures loaded: 10906 (8988 MD5 / 1918 HEX / 0 USER)
    maldet(19972): {scan} building file list for /home/brotherhood2/, this might take awhile…
    : integer expression expecteds/functions: line 871: [: 0
    maldet(19972): {scan} setting nice scheduler priorities for all operations: cpun , ionice 6
    maldet(19972): {scan} scan returned zero results, please provide a new path.

• Gabriel A. Cánepa says:

Why are you using CentOS 5 in 2016? Even though it will receive updates until March 2017, I don’t see any reasons why a new user would want to use it today – more than 9 years after its release! Go get yourself a CentOS 7 VM or VPS and use it instead. This article was written for that version.

2. HENRIK B RASMUSSEN says:

Is LMD intended to scan for threats to the Linux OS of the server, or does it scan for hacks such as those common with WordPress and Joomla, or does it look for all of those? Also, is the LMD signature database still being updated or is it frozen in the past? Good article, thanks.

3. Tamer Shafik says:

Thanks a lot, Very good writer

4. Dollar says:

Nice Post. Can I scan the systems in my network by sending them a script (through mail) which should scan thier systems and send an email alert to me when they execute the script. Because we have 200+ linux systems. As a time constraint I cant install AV in all the systems. Is there any possibility with this AV or any other Antivirus

5. lester says:

Pretty useless when it comes to sending alerts. I have researched this thoroughly and mail binary is active in my Centos System, all conf.maldet switches are set for sending email, yet nothing ever comes through.

I can manually send a report with maldet -e SCANID “[email protected] but don’t expect any continuity of care with getting notified. Also, multiple messages to the domain owner of rfxn.com go unanswered and the emails listed in the conf.maldet file are non-deliverable. Look for another service if you need critical alerts.

• Mitch says:

Have you found a solution to this I just switched to a faster dedicated server and looking to install it again. But I too suffered the no email alerts. I checked the author’s website and there has not been any activity or new updates posts anything written since 2014.

So for now I have just clamAV. What replacement AV and MW scanner do you suggest with email Alert working of course :>
      thanks

6. Information Gadget says:

Nice, Thanks you for post full perfect

7. Alfonso Fernández says:

I think the wget URl is wrong

8. Rajendra says:

I am getting no such folder found while installing, can you please help me

9. Fabui says:

Thank you for the great info Gabriel. I go it installed but when I try to run it says
    bash: maldet: command not found

10. abhi says:

Might help a few people. PATH environment variable, then you can use the short form of the name.

export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/sbin