Installing and Configuring FreeNAS (Network-attached Storage) – Part 1

Babin Lonston

I'm Working as a System Administrator for last 10 year's with 4 years experience with Linux Distributions, fall in love with text based operating systems.

1. Mahipal says:

Not working for me. I downloaded “FreeNAS-9.2.1.8-RELEASE-x64.img.xz – (143MB)” usb image. Copied it into
    16GB Sandisk pendrive. But my mobo Asus H81M-CS is not booting from this pendrive. System loads windows (which I intend to delete after formatting the hdd later) from HDD in the syst

Am I missing something??

2. Satish Singh says:

When I type freenas ip address in my browser it only give me login page as attached screenshot in the following link:

After this, what to do please help me…

3. siry says:

I didn’t get the console setup menu,freenas 10

4. Mahipal says:

Hello Mr. Lanston,
    Ignore if it’s a dumb question but I am new to NAS and home networking. In step 13, where I am supposed to open the NAS GUI by entering the new IP address 192.169.0.225, am I supposed to do it on a sperate machine attached to NAS machine via ethernet cable?

5. miun says:

great tutorial,thanks ^^

6. Alex says:

Tx for your tutorial, it’s great.

7. Terie Mumby says:

Hi!
    Thanks for the great Tutorial. I must be doing something wrong. When I use the volume manager everything goes smooth but when I click “Add Volume” nothing happens. It just blinks then there is no volume saved. It doesn’t matter what I seem to do I get the same result. I’ve tried to to do it every which way to no avail.
    I’m using four identical 160gig HD’s. They are visible. I’ve tried to do it with the MB set to RAID in the bios, ACHI, IDE. Nothing seems to get me the result I need which is a saved volume. I’ve tried just one disk. I’ve tried unplugging all the HD’s except one.
    Any suggestions?