Scientific Linux (SL) is developed by Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory and the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) and various other labs and universities around the globe. It’s a free and open source Operating System based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Primary purpose of Scientific Linux (SL) is to reduce duplicate effort of the labs and to have common install base for various experimenters. In this post, we are going show you how we can install Scientific Linux 6.3 using Live .iso image file.
Download Scientific Linux (SL) 6.3 ISO
You may download Scientific Linux (SL) 6.3 edition for 32-bit or 64-bit operating systems using the following download links respectively.
- Download Scientific Linux 6.3 32-bit DVD ISO – (4.1 GB)
- Download Scientific Linu 6.3 64-bit DVD ISO – (4.2 GB)
Please visit to know more information about Scientific Linux 6.3 release note at SL Home page.
Scientific Linux (SL) 6.3 Step by Step Graphical Installation Guide
1. Insert and Boot your system with Scientific Linux Live media or .iso file of your choice and start installation process. Lets start pretty simple step by step installation of Scientific Linux.
2. You will boot directly into the live environment from where you can tour and test the flavor of Scientific Linux (SL) and you may choose to install it on Hard Drive from there itself.
3. Welcome, Installation process is started.
4. Select Keyboard layout and click on ‘Next‘.
5. Select Storage device of your choice and click ‘Next‘.
6. Storage device warning, click on ‘yes, discard any data‘. This will remove all the data from storage if any.
7. Provide Hostname and click on ‘Next‘.
8. Select your nearest time zone and click on ‘Next‘.
9. Set root password and click on ‘Next‘.
10. Disk partitioning, select your choice and click on ‘Next‘.
11. Select ‘Write changes to disk‘ which will format storage device’.
12. Creating ext4 filesystem.
13. Just relax, Started copying live images file to hard drive.
14. Installation completed, remove CD/DVD if any from drive.
15. Next, restart the the system.
16. Follow Post Installation wizard to complete installation process.
17. Fill user details and click on ‘Forward‘.
18. Set date and time and click on ‘Finish‘.
19. User login prompt, Supply recently created password to get in.
20. Scientific Linux (SL) Desktop.