Finally, CentOS team is very happy to announce their immediate availability of world class enterprise Linux distribution CentOS 6.4 for i386 and x86_64 architectures. This release was their forth update in the 6.x series and comes with lot of updates, new functionalists and lot of bug fixes.
This newly released CentOS 6.4 is based on upstream release of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.4 and involves packages from all variants and ensure that users don’t feel much complex operating system when it comes to installation. All upstream repositories are linked into one to make the things much easier for end users to work with.
There are many essential feature and changes in this release as compared to earlier version of CentOS and I highly recommend you all to read the announcement and release notes about the changes.
If you are looking to upgrade from your currently running CentOS 6.x to CentOS 6.4, then simple read our following article that describes you how to upgrade to latest 6.4 version.
CentOS 6.4 Highlights
- Added support for Microsoft Hyper-V drivers to allow CentOS to be more effective when installed on Microsoft Hyper-V server.
- Upgraded samba4 libraries (samba4-libs) to latest version to improve interoperability with AD (Active Directory) domains.
- If you were upgrading from earlier CentOS 6.3 to latest CentOS 6.4 version and you have Samba package in use, make sure you must remove it to avoid conflicts during upgrade process.
- Since CentOS 6.3 matahari is deprecated. But now CentOS 6.4 adds one more last update that will remove matahari completely. To make sure all matahari files are removed run ‘yum remove matahari*‘ after upgrading to 6.4.
- iasl, dev86 and qemu-quest-agent tools have been added for i386 architecture only.