How to Install Linux Mint 18 Alongside Windows 10 or 8 in Dual-Boot UEFI Mode

Best Affordable Linux and WordPress Services For Your Business
Outsource Your Linux and WordPress Project and Get it Promptly Completed Remotely and Delivered Online.

Matei Cezar

I'am a computer addicted guy, a fan of open source and linux based system software, have about 4 years experience with Linux distributions desktop, servers and bash scripting.

1. MF says:

It worked like a charm for me thanks

2. Andreas says:

Thanks a lot, it worked perfectly!

3. Nunyahbidnaz says:

How about one of you actually show us using the actual “Install Linux alongside Windows 10” option! instead of going right to the “Something else”.

4. Abhinav says:

Instead of ‘free space’ in the installation, it is showing ‘unusable’. I am not able to add partitions in the memory. Any help will be appreciated.

• Matei Cezar says:

It looks like the HDD is using MBR scheme and you’ve exhausted the four primary partitions. You have the options to delete the fourth partition and create a new extended partition and in that partition create other logical partition or convert the HDD partition layout from MBR to GPT. You can use a live Linux live CD with Gparted tool to tamper partitions.

5. Telarius says:

I am having the opposite problem and I have grub working and booting mint but windows 10 is not in the list

6. Charlie says:

The superb article my first installation of Linux ever went flawlessly! :)
    One question though after this install do I have to manually install drivers/update them?

7. Matei Cezar says:

UEFI settings -> Boot Options -> BBS Priorities. From there, on some UEFI machines, you can setup what OS should be loaded by default by the motherboard

8. Nikhil Niraj says:

I am not able to boot into Linux as the system is directly booting into Windows 10 and I am not getting any option to boot into Linux in the UEFI settings.

There is only one option and it is for WINDOWS, what should I do now?

My BIOS settings are same as mentioned in the TOPIC…!!

• Des says:

Hold down shift when you choose to restart windows, this will bring up a special menu. Should see boot USB/Another OS option at that point.

9. Matei Cezar says:

Go to UEFI settings, boot order, BBS priorities. From there you can choose what OS should boot by default.

10. Helmar Fernandes says:

Hi. I installed Mint 18.1 alongside with Windows 8 in a ASUS laptop but when I finished the process and reboot the laptop doesn’t enters grub, instead, it starts the Windows normally just the way it did like if I hadn’t made any change to the laptop… when did I get wrong?