The uGet project team pleased to announce the release of version 1.10.4. The latest version includes support for Magnet Links via the aria2 Plugin, GnuTLS support, support for Flashgot, other features include:
- A new “Check for Updates” button informs you about new released versions.
- Added new languages & updated existing languages.
- Added a new “Message Banner” that allows developers to easily provide uGet related information to all users.
- Enhanced the Help Menu by including links to the Documentation, to submit Feedback & Bug Reports and more.
- Integrated uGet download manager into the two major browsers on the Linux platform, Firefox and Google Chrome.
- Improved support for Firefox Addon ‘FlashGot’.
The team also celebrating their 11th Year of uGet, uGet has been available to the Linux platform for over 11 years now and they are very excited about future of uGet.
They’ve already started work on upcoming release (i.e. 1.10.5), the new version includes support for uGet extension for Google Chrome & Chromium and also they are working on mobile version of uGet.
What is uGet
uGet (formerly known ad UrlGfe) is an open source, free and very powerful multi-platform GTK based download manager application was written in C language, that released and licensed under GPL. It offers large collection of features such as resuming downloads, multiple download support, categories support with an independent configuration, clipboard monitoring, download scheduler, import URLs from HTML files, integrated Flashgot plugin with Firefox and download torrent and metalink files using aria2 (a command-line download manager) that integrated with uGet.
I have listed down all the key features of uGet Download Manager in detailed explanation.
Key Features of uGet Download Manager
- Downloads Queue: Place all your downloads into a Queue. As downloads finishes, the remaining queue files will automatically start downloading.
- Resume Downloads: If in case, your network connection disconnected, don’t worry you can start or resume download where it was left.
- Download Categories: Support for unlimited categories to manage downloads.
- Clipboard Monitor: Add the types of files to clipboard that automatically prompt you to download copied files.
- Batch Downloads: Allows you to easily add unlimited number of files at once for downloading.
- Multi-Protocol: Allows you to easily download files through HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, BitTorrent and Metalink using arial2 command-line plugin.
- Multi-Connection: Support for up to 20 simultaneous connections per download using aria2 plugin.
- FTP Login & Anonymous FTP: Added support for FTP login using username and password, as well as anonymous FTP.
- Scheduler: Added support for scheduled downloads, now you can schedule all your downloads.
- FireFox Integration via FlashGot: Integrated FlashGot as an independent supported Firefox extension that handles single or massive selection of files for downloading.
- CLI / Terminal Support: Offers command line or terminal option to download files.
- Folder Auto-Creation: If you have provided the save path for the download, but the save path doesn’t exist, uget will automatically create them.
- Download History Management: Keeps a track of finished download and recycled entries, per list 9,999 files. Entries which are older than the custom limit will be deleted automatically.
- Multi-Language Support: By default uGet uses English, but it support more than 23 languages.
- Aria2 Plugin: uGet integrated with Aria2 plugin to give more user friendly GUI.
If you want to know a complete list of available features, see the official uGet features page.
Install uGet in Debian, Ubuntu, Linux Mint and Fedora
The uGet developers added latest version in various repos throughout the Linux platform, so you can able to install or upgrade uGet using supported repository under your Linux distribution.
Currently, a few Linux distributions are not up-to-date, but you can get the status of your distribution by going to the uGet Download page and selecting your preferred distro from there for more details.
In Debian Testing and Debian Unstable, you can easily install and update using the official repository on a fairly reliable basis.
$ sudo apt-get update $ sudo apt-get install uget
On Ubuntu & Linux Mint
In Ubuntu 12.04 – 14.04 & Linux Mint 13 – 16, you can install and update uGet using official PPA repository ‘ppa:plushuang-tw/uget-stable‘. By using this PPA, you automatically be kept up-to-date with the latest versions.
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:plushuang-tw/uget-stable $ sudo apt-get update $ sudo apt-get install uget
In 19 – 21, latest version of uGet (1.10.4) available from the official repositories, installing from these repo is fairly reliable.
$ sudo yum install uget
Note: On older versions of Debian, Ubuntu, Linux Mint and Fedora, users can also install uGet. but the available version is 1.8.2. If you are looking for updated version (i.e. 1.10.4) you need to upgrade your system.
Installing aria2 plugin
aria2 is a excellent command-line download utility, that is used by uGet as a aria2 plugin to add even more great functionality such as downloading torrent files, metalinks, multi-protocol & multi-source download.
By default uGet uses CURL as backend in most of the today’s Linux systems, but the aria2 Plugin replaces CURL with aria2 as the backend.
aria2 is a separate package that needs to be installed separately. You can easily install latest version of aria2 using supported repository under your Linux distribution or you can also use downloads-aria2 that explains how to install aria2 on each distro.
On Debian, Ubuntu and Linux Mint
Use the official aria2 PPA repository to install latest version of aria2 using the following commands.
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:t-tujikawa/ppa $ sudo apt-get update $ sudo apt-get install aria2
Fedora’s official repositories already added aria2 package, so you can easily install it using the following yum command.
$ sudo yum install aria2
To start uGet application, from the desktop go to “Dash Home” on search bar type “uget“. Refer below screenshot.
Activate aria2 Plugin in uGet
To active the aria2 plugin, from the uGet menu go to Edit –> Settings –> Plug-in tab, check the box that says “Enable arial2 plugin“.
uGet 1.10.4 Screenshot Tour
uGet source files and RPM packages also available for other Linux distributions and Windows at download page.
Latest posts by Ravi Saive (see all)
Linux Services & Free WordPress Setup
Our post is simply ‘DIY’ aka ‘Do It Yourself, still you may find difficulties and want us to help you out. We offer wide range of Linux and Web Hosting Solutions at fair minimum rates. Please submit your orders by Clicking Here.